Rate this topic

Hello.

My health team has still not diagnosed me after being sick for over 4 months.  It has been recommended that I get a colonoscopy.  I am really nervous.  Will it tell me for sure if I have Crohn's disease or diverticulitis?  How painful is it?  What are the risks?  How bad is it really?  I am not looking forward to this.

I have had three colonoscopies. As Karen said, they can not diagnose (or rule out) celiac disease. The worst part is the preparation. The procedure itself is painless, and while nothing is completely risk free (including crossing the street), the risk associated with a colonoscopy or endoscopy is very low.

If you are having a colonoscopy, having an endoscopy with biopsies at the same time is a good idea. The prep for the endoscopy is a subset of that for the colonoscopy, so you are already there. An endoscopic examination of the upper intestine may detect celiac disease, or may reveal other causes for your symptoms.