Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

beadlet33

What Do You Think

My name is Amanda, and My son is now 8, when he was 2, he was diagnosed with wheat allergy. At the time the dr asked if he noticed anything, and said no, and said go ahead and keep giving it to him. Well it was that time he was also potty training. Over the years he has had constant bowel issues. Informed it was diagnosed as functional constipation. He only goes twice a week, stomache is always bloated, doesn't hurt according to him. Would this be a sign of his allergy causing his bowel issues. Could it be a misdiagnoses. I 'm just starting out with going gluten free wit him.  I'm limiting his gluten at first. I go see his allergist in september. H is also allergic to peanuts and treenuts, and many seasonal allergies. He did outgrow most of his animal allergies. Any input, suggestions, anything you can assist with, information, I will gladly accept. I'm just sick of my son still having this issue, and don't know if it is maybe he's just lazy and doesn't want to go. HE's in councelling finally again for other reasons. 

thanks again

Hi there and welcome to the forum :)

If you are wondering if he might have celiac disease, it is worth you knowing that to be tested he will need to be eating gluten for blood tests, and possibly an endoscopy, depending how your doctor tends to diagnose.

Your story does sound familiar to other children mentioned on the forum, constipation can be a problem. I don't know if you a e aware that anxiety, stress etc. can also be sypmtoms of untreated celiac disease and Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI).

I hope the folks around here can help with your questions

Mw

His constipation sounds like what I went through, if I was at all stressed I was lucky to go twice a week. If you get him tested for celiac disease the tests are tTG IgA and IgG, DGP IgA and IgG, EMA IgA, and AGA IgA and IgG. He will need to be eating gluten for accurate tests, so don't limit gluten yet (as long as it isn't making him too sick).

Celiac disease is not an allergy, but an autoimmune disease, so he can't outgrow it if he has it. I have a son with animal and nut allergies who also can't eat gluten or dairy, so I know it can be daunting to feed them well.

Best wishes.