Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mcdonald.khadijah

Lab & Colonoscopy Results?

So I had a colonoscopy today (I still fee odd from it) and the doctor took a biopsy, but everything was looking good.

TTG IGA RESULT: 0.4 U/mL

IMMUNOGLOBULIN A 155 mg/dL 66-433 mg/dL

GASTRIN 27 pg/mL 13-115 pg/mL

SED RATE 2 MM/HR <20 MM/HR

CALCITONIN: <2 pg/mL < 12.0 pg/mL

I feel everything is saying I'm fine, my doctor and I agreed that if I see health changes when I go gluten-free then that's proof enough. With gluten I get tons of symptoms such as bloating, a terribly twisting pain in my lower stomach, back pain, constipation, inconsistent stool (BADLY), fatigue (I'll sleep all day for a few days) and a few times even vomiting.  When I cut it all I feel like a million bucks! It also doesn't help that I'm lactose intolerant either. That gives me even more powerful symptoms.

Any one experience this? The tests say no but your daily pain begs to differ? I know my blood tests are eh because I was somewhat gluten free at the time, but I'm not sure of anything :P I giving up gluten, but I'm sure none of this will confirm to my school that I cannot eat their food. I was sick every time I ate in the caf.

Also, I am on allergy shots for pretty much everything outside (not an exaggeration) I'm extremely allergic to rye, barley and many things that get mixed in. I also have a lot of cross allergies so that could be it too.

DId u have an upper scope done where they go down ur throat?  That is the biopsy that you need. 

As PofPT mentioned, you need to be eating gluten for the tests to be accurate. If you are not eating gluten, or extremely small amounts, it could give a false negative test result.

There are many people around here who have symptoms but have negative blood tests, or negative biopsy, or both. It's possible that they have celiac or it could be non-celiac gluten intolerance (NCGI) which has all of the same symptoms except the villi damage (which is what the blood tests look for).  Villi damage does not cause most of our symptoms though, so a person with NCGI will feel every bit as bad as a celiac and need to stay gluten-free in order to feel better.

Good luck with the endoscopy and welcome to the forum.  :)