Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

clogger69

Can A Herb Make Me This Sick?

I am 73, DX 4 1/2 years ago. I had a very bad episode of throwing up at one year gluten free, and another at 2 year from accidentally eating gluten. It was terrible, get the bowl type of thing and when that happens you are very carefull not to have it happen again. Well last night it happened again and I was so sick. At 4 pm I had eaten some canned beef stew with rice. The can said gluten free. Then my granddaughter and I went to do some shopping.I had seen a repeat DR.Oz show on supplements to keep you young, which my 17 yr old granddaughter said, "well that train has left the station" nice kid :) Anyway  I got a bottle of 400mg Astragalus and took one when I got home at 7:30ish. I was feeling not to good by10:30 and went to bed. The miniute I layed down I knew I was sick. I had 2 bouts of the bowl, and finally got to sleep. The supplement does not list anything with gluten, but to be that sick, I just wondered if anyone has had any experience with this. $10 bottle that I am affraid to try again :( 

I am 73, DX 4 1/2 years ago. I had a very bad episode of throwing up at one year gluten free, and another at 2 year from accidentally eating gluten. It was terrible, get the bowl type of thing and when that happens you are very carefull not to have it happen again. Well last night it happened again and I was so sick. At 4 pm I had eaten some canned beef stew with rice. The can said gluten free. Then my granddaughter and I went to do some shopping.I had seen a repeat DR.Oz show on supplements to keep you young, which my 17 yr old granddaughter said, "well that train has left the station" nice kid :) Anyway  I got a bottle of 400mg Astragalus and took one when I got home at 7:30ish. I was feeling not to good by10:30 and went to bed. The miniute I layed down I knew I was sick. I had 2 bouts of the bowl, and finally got to sleep. The supplement does not list anything with gluten, but to be that sick, I just wondered if anyone has had any experience with this. $10 bottle that I am affraid to try again :(

I've never taken astragulus, because my ELISA (allergy/intolerances) test results for herbs and spices showed that I had a very strong IgG mediated reaction to astragulus.  That reaction was stronger than any other of my diagnosed allergens.  I've had obvious reactions after accidentally consuming my other diagnosed allergens. So I adamantly avoid astragulus.  Bottom line: You could very well be allergic to (or intolerant of) astagulus. 

Many people who are diagnosed with celiac disease later in life developed other allergies/intolerances during the time they had undiagnosed celiac disease.  I wasn't diagnosed until age 56.  Subsequent tests showed I had 7-8 other allergens.  All those diagnoses were verified by my experiences with those foods, herbs and spices. 

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-963-ASTRAGALUS.aspx?activeIngredientId=963&activeIngredientName=ASTRAGALUS

It says people with auto-immune diseases shouldn't use it.  And seems to have some interactions with a few medicines. 

It may just be that it disagrees with your stomach.

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-963-ASTRAGALUS.aspx?activeIngredientId=963&activeIngredientName=ASTRAGALUS

It says people with auto-immune diseases shouldn't use it.  And seems to have some interactions with a few medicines. 

It may just be that it disagrees with your stomach.

Thank you so much for these replys. I am sure the stew was ok and it was the herb. This is just the kind of information I felt I might find on this site. I had celiac for I am sure since 1992 when I gave my daughter a kidney. At that time this was a major surgery and a year before I was DX so was a first cousin. Back at that time I had never heard of celiac. I should have done my research first.