This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

No End To D

igorm

igorm Newbie

Hello all, I have been on gluten/dairy free diet for 2 months. After the first 3 weeks my digestive system worked like may years ago: no D, no gas, normal appetite, everything was fine. I tried to eat butter, just a little to add to buckwheat. All symptoms came back, and now no matter what I do or eat, I have D. Very little gas, not much bloating, always hungry, everything goes down the toilet in the morning in 2-3 trips. I have food diary, eat very limited number of foods (rice white, black, brown, red and plain quinoa, potato, fish, beef, chicken breast, green salad,, kale, banana, grapes, raisins, olive oil, eggs, few blanched almonds),  Cook everything myself, I do not eat anything processed. One day it is sort of better, feels more solid, next day or 2 it is D again. I do not know what else to eliminate. My blood test had increased Immunoglobulin A, Qn serum 426 (normal <414), everything else in celiac panel negative. I have stomach cat scan next week and endoscopy in 2 weeks. Is it possible to have D for several weeks after getting lactose/gluten? Or am I getting gluten somehow? Or I cannot eat some of these foods? I lose weight too.Doctor said that he does not think that with such blood tests I can be so sensitive to gluten.I do not see any light ahead. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

That doesn't sound like Celiac blood work. And if the celiac part was negative -.Perhaps gluten is not your issue? I would hate for you to continue suffering and not look for the real cause.

Is that your total serum IGA? That is just taken to see if you make enough response to the actual celiac tests. If your Celiac blood tests are all negative, then I would look for another cause to your problems.

IrishHeart Veteran

Many things can create the big D--even though you are doing a good job of being gluten-free.Infammation lasts for months after a gluten exposure (or after giving it up)

Gastritits (inflammation of the GI tract)

Unintentional gluten cross contamination

other food sensitivities

insufficient  fiber

an infection

other inflammatory bowel diseases

Why are you having an endoscopy? Is he doing a celiac biopsy during that endoscopy...because if so, you need to be consuming gluten for the test to be valid.

Sometimes this healing process is an up and down road. I understand your frustration, I really do. My entire GI tract was a mess upon diagnosis and it took me a while to turn it all around. Please do not despair. I promise it gets better.

In the meantime, you could take the OTC Culturelle probtiotic with lactobaccillus GG

My GI doc recommends it highly for diarrhea. (plenty of medical lit to support its use)

igorm Newbie

I felt much better after I stopped eating gluten (gas, rumbling in the stomach) and even better after dairy free (completely normal for about a week). This is why I think it is related to gluten and dairy. GI Doctor recommended stomach cat scan to check other organs just in case, and endoscopy to see what else is there, and to take biopsy. About eating gluten before endoscopy: even blood test was done 3 weeks after I started diet. First I was suggested to try diet, and after that I realized that it is easy to test, so I asked and was told that 3 weeks is not enough to skew results, it should show celiac. I guess endoscopy is going to show whether or not there is damage. I have had D for more than 2 years, and it was slowly getting worse. Doctors tested for different things and did not find anything. At the end GI doc said it was more in my head. Gas and other symptoms probably existed for 5-6 years. 

I will try Culturelle. I have tried Align before, doctors recommended it. Did not help. Only today noticed that it has lactose, and Culturelle is lactose/gluten free. Thank you for your responses.

Archived