Rate this topic

I am not a celiac, but I'm looking for any guidance you can provide.

My 1.5 y/o is ready to start using the toilet and transitioning from diapers.  She was DX about a month ago and has been 100% gluten-free for two weeks.  During that time I've seen her stools become more of a "normal" consistency and at much more regular intervals.  I wouldn't say that her bowels are anywhere near the best they can be, though.

My question: how long did it take your bowels to really regulate?  Did you have many bowel changes (going from diarrhea to constipation) during those early months?

Like I said, she's showing clear readiness to get out of diapers, but I want to recognize that this might not be the best time for her as her body is changing and repairing itself.  If you have kids you know that the window of them wanting to "take the plunge" is pretty small so I don't want to over think this if that's what I'm doing!

Any guidance you have is appreciated.  And, if you're not interested in sharing this totally TMI topic on a public forum please feel free to PM me.

Awweee good luck with potty training!! Yea I know weird talking about the big "D" on a forum! But yea thats what we do! I actually had a better time with mine about 3 days in. It is different with everyone tho. so be for warned! I eat fresh fruits and veggies and fresh meat now. It is sooo much better for me! I really try to refrain from the processed foods! I am eating better than ever! Every time I get a processed food in me I seem to have a problem.. I hope some of this helped! I hate to see kids suffer! I wish it didn't have to be this way! But lucky you found it while she was young. Good luck! 

She may heal more quickly because she is so young. She also may heal quickly because she she hasn't gotten old enough to have been eating enough gluten to cause the amount of damage some of us older people had. It took me 34 years to get a diagnosis. It only took 2-3 months to start going and have it be at least someone normalish. It did take about a year for me to end up regular as clockwork. During those first 2-3 months I would flippity flop back and forth, just like I always had but it seemed to become less and less of an issue every day.

If she feels like she's ready and after just a few weeks gluten free is at the point already where she knows when she has to go with enough time to get to a bathroom (which in my experience as an undiagnosed child is honestly the biggest part of the problem) then imo go for it. If the potty chair is a little more difficult to clean, maybe they make liners for it? At least she'll be going!

Hopefully her BM's will continue to normalize as you potty train. That "urgency" could even make the fact that a BM is coming more obvious to her. If she is ready for the potty, I say go for it.  Waiting for her BM's to be normal could take some time. I'm guessing it will be a bit faster for her because of age but it can take months to get normal... I'm close to 1.5 years gluten-free and I'm still waiting for it.  LOL

I agree with Adalaide ~ children heal so quickly as opposed to us adults.  At 3+ years I am just starting to be "normal", altho to be honest I have never been normal so not sure what normal is!    I would probably go with what your little one is telling you.  If she acts ready then give it a try.