Rate this topic

I started a gluten challenge on Wednesday.  I started getting jaundice on Thursday, and went to the doctor today.  She confirmed that I am, indeed yellowish, but it could be jaundice or anemia.  She ordered quite a few tests (vitamins, Hep A,B,C, and celiac panel.  She also said to stop with the gluten.  My question is:

Is it at all possible to have a positive result if I only ate it for 5 days and hadn't had it before that except for rarely for about 4 years?  If not, any recommendations?  I guess if it really causes liver damage that quickly in me, it doesn't matter what I call it, I can't eat it.

Wow!  :o

I think it is unlikely that you will have an accurate celiac test after only 5 days if you are gluten free. If you are still consuming tiny amounts of gluten (like in soy sauce or gravies) then your chances of an accurate test are higher.

The DGP IgA and DGP IgG tend to detect celiac sooner in a gluten challenge than the tTG tests, and much faster than the EMA IgA. If possible try to have the DGP tests run along with your ttG tests.

If you need further testing, the endoscopy only needs a couple of weeks of gluten...but if you are getting sick that fast, I agree that it may not be worth it to continue eating the stuff.  Good luck!

stupid question but did they test your liver?  i had jaundice once and they were all about testing me for hepatitis (negative, which left everybody scratching their heads), liver function and enzymes.  did your urine turn darker?  they wouldn't let me out of the hospital until my bilirubins <whatever those are) were back to normal.  (this was long before i was dx'd with celiac and my comfort food of choice, when i was feeling poorly, was toast and tea.......go figure, lolz)  anyways, just curious  :)  hope you feel better

Notme!  - They tested the bilirubins and hep a, b, and c.  I called to ask if they tested for autoimmune hep and they said yeah, but my doctor kinda sucks and i don't remember them saying that.  I should get my test results tomorrow I think.  Did they test you for Auto immune hepatitis?  I wish I was in the hospital.  I can't really take off from work and I am a single mom to a 4 year old.  Being in the hospital sounds so good right now, I am just so tired and blah.  Oh and yeah, my urine is dark.  How long did it take for your levels to go back to normal?  Thanks for the well wishes:)