This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pumpkin Seeds- Question

tryme

tryme Rookie

Hi,

I have another newbie question. My husband bought pain pumpkin seeds from the bin in the organic section of superstore loblows.I used them to make my protein bars and didn't even think of the cross contamination part.  Do you guys happen to know if these are usually gluten free?

Should I be only buy seeds and nuts that has "gluten free" written on the packaging? In this case the pumpkin seeds were in the organic/natural section but were open in a bin. 

I will really appreciate your help. I am sitting here and glaring at those delicious protein bars (made with gluten-free chia seeds, gluten-free  hemp seeds, gluten-free flaxseed flour,kirkland pure  honey & coconut oil).

Thanks in advance for your help!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

I can't speak to those particular seeds, but I personally would not buy anything from open bulk bins.

Sorry, hon.

The chances of cross contamination--all those scoops, open lids, flours, etc. --is just too great.

Maybe hubs can eat those and you can make some more?

No, you do not have to buy things specifically marked "G F" but open bins are risky.

I buy my seeds, nuts, etc from the certified G F section on nuts.com.

tryme Rookie

Thanks irishHeart...I guess I kinda was feeling the same but wanted to hear it before I let mu hubby devouver them :) You are right I shouldn't risk it after I had to start all over once already. Is there a good protien shake that I can use after my workouts? Or other protein replacements after stregth training?

Thanks

Adalaide Mentor

I never worry about whether things are marked gluten free or not, I simply check the ingredients and if it's a new company to me I check with them on manufacturing processes. I have a lot of time on my hands that some people just don't and checking on that is probably unnecessary since it is rare for me to find out something is actually unsafe. There are a great number of companies that have labeling policies I trust or that I'm familiar enough with that I simply trust.

That said, I also never buy from bulk bins. The risk of contamination is simply too high. I do buy some things in bulk but when I do so I always check with the store what manufacturer they use to fill the bin with (for instance, a local store uses BRM for corn starch), the size of the package and then I order an entire unopened package. This gets me a 10% discount off of the bin price also, plus keeps me safe from contamination.

Of course, my husband moans and complains every time I make him carry a 25 pound bag of salt or corn starch or whatever else to the car and the house. But I don't hear him complain about saving money over the price we'd pay for 1 pound bags! :lol:

IrishHeart Veteran

Thanks irishHeart...I guess I kinda was feeling the same but wanted to hear it before I let mu hubby devouver them :) You are right I shouldn't risk it after I had to start all over once already. Is there a good protien shake that I can use after my workouts? Or other protein replacements after stregth training?

Thanks

I am not sure about protein replacements or shakes.

I just have a greek yogurt after the gym.

18 grams of protein is pretty good, I think.

You might also try 2 hard boiled eggs?

"Eggs are a good source of protein and they contain all of the essential amino acids, so they provide complete protein. One hard-boiled egg has 6.29 grams of protein, which gives men 11 percent of their daily intake, while women get 14 percent. In a large egg, about 43 percent of the protein is found in the yolk." 

tryme Rookie

Thanks everyone! Buying in bulk is a good idea. I will try the eggs. I just can't have yogurt because I am dairy free. I have just recently started my diet so I am trying to stick to the while foods and avoiding corn, soy, dairy, sugar and any processed foods for first couple month. I live my rice mix hat has sprouted rice, wild rice and quinoa that I have with lentil soups for protein. Cant give up by green chillies for some reason. I find it hard to quit eating the chillies even harder than gluten :( . Hopefully my workouts can help wiyh the healing and the energy.

Thanks

IrishHeart Veteran

Unless you have a casein intolerance, you should be able to eat some yogurt. The lactose in dairy may be an issue for celiacs

at first, but yogurt has far less lactose than dairy products.

but if you prefer to stay off it, that's your call, of course!

Have you tried the quinoa flakes? They are quick to cook up. I add some banana and a bit of honey and it's yummy for breakfast.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tryme Rookie

I actually had not heard of it. I just read up on in. Sounds like a good treat. I will definitely try it. I do want to start the yogurt but I wanted to give it a good month on fruits and veggies before introducing them. 

Thanks a bunch IrishHeart! 

IrishHeart Veteran

sound like a good plan, hon. Take it easy on the workouts at first. Your muscles may not be ready for too much.

Just go slow and take your time to build up your energy. 

I saw you had a DEXA (bone density) scan done. Do not be alarmed if it shows a slight dip towards osteopenia. 

This is not uncommon, but most people's bone density improves once you start absorbing again and your levels come up

and you can do weight-bearing exercises.

Mine improved in the last two years. My new GI doc and I were very pleased!

No drugs (one doc was quick to suggest them and I said nope)

I just foods high in calcium, a good cal/mag/D vitamin and my ability to begin

exercising once more. I could barely walk without pain when Dxed.

You'll get there too--you're a lot younger than I am.

Best wishes. Let us know if we can help in any way.

tryme Rookie

I was kind of hoping that it would just be low because of celiac but I guess that's not the case. My calcium levels were too high and my vitamiD is too low. My GP referred me to an endocrinologist. He is suspecting hyperparathyroidism  due to adenoma (small tumor )on my parathyroid. A part of me is happy that this is getting somewhere but other part of me is very scared. I also just noticed  that the lentils and rice that I have been having are processed in the facility that also process wheat product :( So all this time while I was thinking I was gluten free I have been ingesting foods that might have contained gluten :(  I feel that I am making so many mistakes. I can't even keep my food straight. 

I am trying to keep my mind off of the adenoma  and think positive but still it bothers me. 

Sorry for babbling. I just needed to get it off my chest and maybe get some insight from someone who has had similar diagnosis. I feel like I am maybe catastrophysing  everything.

Thanks in advance for your insight into this.

IrishHeart Veteran

First, many people can tolerate "foods processed in a facility with" because companies do wash the production lines, so please do not beat yourself up over something like this. Even if there were a risk of CC, it would be minimal. Don't worry about it now, ok? we all make rookie errors anyway.

Secondly. is the doctor suggesting the endo may be thinking of removing the tumor or the affected glands? I know you are scared hon, but wait until you have all the info before you worry yourself for no good cause. From all I have read, the treatment is very successful. 

Thyroid disease runs in my family and cousins have had all sorts of issues, so I have read quite a bit about it. Keep us posted!

You may want to check the forum to see if anyone has posted about hyperparathyroidism.

tryme Rookie

Thanks IrishHeart . You are right I probably shouldn't worry about it now. My GP just said " oh don't worry. All it might me is an adenoma. Its not dangerous." and sent me home with urgent referral to endocrinology .  I hope he made it URGENT just to get me in sooner and nothing actually is too serious with me. I actually feet fine. Just psychologically knowing what might be coming makes me feel crappy at time. Oh well I will find out this weekend and definitely will let you know what the verdict is.

I tried to google some posts but didn't find the specific information I was looking for. I am going to make a new post about other peoples' experience with this and whether or not they chose surgery. If they did what effects did it have on them?

Thanks!

IrishHeart Veteran

try using the Search the Forum at the top right under the celiac.com banner?

Archived