NanaV

Shed More Light On These Test Results?

Rate this topic

I went through all my med files tonight (while the kids were trick-or-treating) and found some test results I must've missed before.

Here's one from almost 10 years ago when my symptoms were much less bothersome. What does this "diagnosis" part mean? 

Diagnosis:

A. Distal esophagus, endoscopic biopsy: mucosa of the squamocolumnar junction. 

Gastric type mucosa; no goblet cell intestinal metaplasia identified to suggest a diagnosis of Barrett's esophagus on morphologic grounds. Squamous mucosa with intraepithelial eosinophils, consistent with reflux

B. Small bowel, endoscopic biopsy: small intestinal mucosa, no pathologic diagnosis. No evidence of villous atrophy identified.

C. Cardia, endoscopic biopsy: reactive gastric type mucosa with chronic inflammation. No goblet cell intestinal metaplasia is identified. Scant fragment of reactive squamous mucosa.

Another test I had, a digestive stool analysis, gave this info:

Eosinophil Protein X    3.6   (range <=7.0 mcg/g)

"Reflects inflammation & tissue damage" is in the comments section. My 3.6 was in the normal range but optimum range should be near 0, I believe.

It also reported low stomach acid and zero lactobacillus species.

What would you conclude from these pieces of info?

I went through all my med files tonight (while the kids were trick-or-treating) and found some test results I must've missed before.

Here's one from almost 10 years ago when my symptoms were much less bothersome. What does this "diagnosis" part mean? 

Diagnosis:

A. Distal esophagus, endoscopic biopsy: mucosa of the squamocolumnar junction. 

Gastric type mucosa; no goblet cell intestinal metaplasia identified to suggest a diagnosis of Barrett's esophagus on morphologic grounds. Squamous mucosa with intraepithelial eosinophils, consistent with reflux

B. Small bowel, endoscopic biopsy: small intestinal mucosa, no pathologic diagnosis. No evidence of villous atrophy identified.

C. Cardia, endoscopic biopsy: reactive gastric type mucosa with chronic inflammation. No goblet cell intestinal metaplasia is identified. Scant fragment of reactive squamous mucosa.

Another test I had, a digestive stool analysis, gave this info:

Eosinophil Protein X    3.6   (range <=7.0 mcg/g)

"Reflects inflammation & tissue damage" is in the comments section. My 3.6 was in the normal range but optimum range should be near 0, I believe.

It also reported low stomach acid and zero lactobacillus species.

What would you conclude from these pieces of info?

So does any of this show evidence of celiac to anyone?

Anyone know anything about these test results at all?

I`m not good with interpreting biopsies, but I think the lack of villious atrophy would indicate there is no celiac disease. You had some inflammation and damage that does appear to point to reflux (which celiac disease can cause or make worse).

If you are concerned it could be celiac disease, I would suggest getting the blood tests done.  Things can change in 10 years. Good luck!

I`m not good with interpreting biopsies, but I think the lack of villious atrophy would indicate there is no celiac disease. You had some inflammation and damage that does appear to point to reflux (which celiac disease can cause or make worse).

If you are concerned it could be celiac disease, I would suggest getting the blood tests done.  Things can change in 10 years. Good luck!

Thanks. I've had blood tests 2 years ago and they're still negative. And I just can't make myself ingest gluten for the test's sake.