NanaV

Taking 15Yo For Tests Tomorrow!

Rate this topic

She knows she reacts to milk proteins, and she has significant fatigue, almost daily. She has unexplained tummy pain now and then. She (and I) suspect that she reacts to gluten, but she hasn't wanted to go off of it. She has watched me go off gluten and become far more sensitive to it, so she'd like to avoid all that. AND she and her sister run a bakery. I'm comforting myself with the thought that she could run a gluten-free bakery if it turns out that she is gluten intolerant.

So, I'm going to ask for blood tests for reactions to gluten, dairy, & egg (which she just doesn't like). I'll also ask for a complete celiac panel and then common deficiencies like Vit D, calcium, iron.

What am I missing? This is my chance. She's still on gluten, so I'm hoping to extrapolate from her lab results for myself and the other children.

Sounds like a good plan. The full celiac panel is:

tTG IgA and tTG IgG

DGP IgA and DGP IgG

EME IgA

total serum IgA (a control test)

AGA IgA and AGA IgG (older and less reliable test but though by some to show non-celiac gluten intolerance (NCGI) as well as celiac disease)

Get as many tests as possible; some doctors only run a couple.

She may need to continue eating gluten after testing in case there is a follow-up endoscopic biopsy.

The other common deficiencies for celiacs are B12, ferritin, A, potassium, magnesium, zinc, copper.

Good luck with her testing.   :)

i think Nicole meant to say she needs to stay on gluten if they decide to do a biopsy.  Make sure your daughter stays on gluten until all testing is complete!

She may need to stay gluten-free after testing in case there is a follow-up endoscopic biopsy.

here's what I usually suggest testing wise

Comprehensive Celiac Panel:

DGP iga/igg

ttg iga/igg

EMA

Total iga serum-this is a control test to make sure you make enough iga to validate the other testing

check out page 12 in this report for testing information:

http://www.worldgastroenterology.org/assets/export/userfiles/2012_Celiac%20Disease_long_FINAL.pdf

Vitamin/Minerals:

Complete Blood Count (CBC)

Complete Metabolic Profile (CMP)

Vitamin B-12

Folic Acid

Vitamin A, D, E, K

Ferritin

Iron

Magnesium

Zinc

Copper

Niacin

Riboflavin

C-Reactive Protein

Good info from University of Chicago Celiac Center:

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/archives/faq/what-common-nutrient-deficiencies-might-an-adult-experience-prior-to-diagnosis

good luck today!!

*EDIT: I'd suggest writing all symptoms down before going to the doctors.  That way if you get nervous, I do  :), you don't forget all your questions because you've got it all in front of you.