This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New Here, Not Officially Diagnosed

Neon rainbow

Neon rainbow Newbie

Hi all, I'm new to this forum (and most things gluten related).

I've been gluten free since Before Easter, after having numerous health problems. Most of them just got lumped under the "depression and anxiety" label, even when it was managed.

I went gluten free after googling my symptoms, it clicked. The rash, constant nausea, stomach pain, leg cramps, brain fog, hair loss ( at 23, not good), lethargic, migraines that felt like a stiletto through my temple..

I was also lactose intolerant but that seem to have cleared up too :).

Happy to say that I have none of these problems anymore. But I haven't seen my doctor yet, I don't like him, his answer was always its the depression and anxiety fault ( and give me pills which just made things worse) and I'm too chicken to get tested.. I don't want to have to eat gluten again.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tommysmommy Newbie

Good for you, it sounds like you have your answer! Sadly, it is all too common for real problems to be overlooked by doctors (it's all in your head) & anxiety/depression to be "treated" instead of finding the root cause. If all of your health problems vanished with a gluten free diet, it is probable that celiac or gluten intolerance is the problem. Its a good idea to talk to a doctor & if you don't like your doctor - find a new one! For an official diagnosis you would need to go back on gluten for a while and there is value to testing because there may be other damage that you don't even know about - its worth talking to a doctor about it. But never forget, you are your own advocate & follow your insticts, they've gotten you better!

JustCricket Newbie

Years ago, I was on Zoloft, with hardly any issue. I never really experienced too many side effect. Went off it, after a while, and did "okay."  Then, I had insomnia that was causing problems in my daily life, oversleeping wake-up times for work and getting kids off to school. :( 

Doc put me on amitriptyline. It was THE worst. It was like all of the water had been sucked out of my body. I'll let your imaginations do the rest.

Later, I got switched back to Zoloft, but with the added benefit of Wellbutrin. OMG, talk about side effects. Wow! 

I had the hardest time staying on the meds, until I finally gave up.

Then, I went gluten-free. While I still experience some fatigue, I take vitamins for a few days and it passes. Anxiety and depression? It seems related to glutening. 

Neon rainbow Newbie

Thank you both for your replys.

I will be changing doctors eventually just can't afford too at the moment.

To be fair I do quite overwhelm my doctor, and I did/do have very bad depression (endogenous depression, with panic disorder, was agoraphobic and possible PTSD) and he did refer me to councling (which was great). It's a small government subsidised practice for those on little income. And the previous doctors practice called me a liar, claiming 14year olds don't get miagraines (only went back to them once after that).

I'm not longer on any medication, don't get me wrong I still have depression and anxiety (and will always, Runs in my family) it's just not as extreme.

I haven't tried that drug, I have been on Prozac, citelapram, nortripiline, Effexor, some gaint red pill, seraqel, lorazepam, codeine for pain since I was about 14.

:)

JustCricket Newbie

I've had blockbusting headaches since I was about 9. Maybe before. I used to "remember" that I was 7, but the earliest one I can remember now dates back to when I was at least 8. 

My daughter has had headaches for a very long time, as well, and she's 17. She's telling me they started for her when she was 7. My other two get headaches sometimes, too. I don't know if mine were migraines at that age (I definitely get them now), but I'm fairly certain that hers are and always seem to have been.

I hate when doctors don't believe us. :( I'm glad you're finding help from other practitioners. :)

bartfull Rising Star

"I'm not longer on any medication, don't get me wrong I still have depression and anxiety (and will always, Runs in my family) it's just not as extreme."

Celiac runs in families too, and one of the symptoms is depression and anxiety.Seratonin, which regulates mood, is priduced in the small intestine. If yours is damaged from celiac, there is your answer.  Maybe that is the cause for everyone in your family. Also, there have been studies done recently that say using probiotics might well help relieve depression and anxiety.

JustCricket Newbie

"I'm not longer on any medication, don't get me wrong I still have depression and anxiety (and will always, Runs in my family) it's just not as extreme."

Celiac runs in families too, and one of the symptoms is depression and anxiety.Seratonin, which regulates mood, is priduced in the small intestine. If yours is damaged from celiac, there is your answer.  Maybe that is the cause for everyone in your family. Also, there have been studies done recently that say using probiotics might well help relieve depression and anxiety.

I just found out about this study, too. Open Original Shared Link

I'm hoping that in time, my daughter and I will see beneficial effects in the mood category.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

NoGlutenCooties Contributor

For what it's worth... I have a family member who has Celiac.  Pre-diagnosis he was on anti-depressants.  After going gluten-free he no longer needs them and he's feeling fine.  I'm not sure how long he was gluten-free before being able to give up the meds, but it can happen.

Archived