Rate this topic

I had a cappuccino yesterday after dinner and within an hour I was having extreme stomach pains. It felt much like a glutening, curled up in a ball in pain.

Anyone have problems with espresso? I don't usually drink them and I'm fine with my daily cup of coffee but lately my hubby and I go and get an afternoon latte or cappuccino. I've noticed my stomach hurting a little bit when I drink them, but yesterday was horrible, bloating too. I even had chills with it and this morning I woke up with a migraine. These are glutening symptoms for me but espresso doesn't contain gluten and it was not flavored. Regardless I'm giving them up but wondering what the heck got me, why was my reaction so much worse :-/

chills, migraine, stomach ache....are you sure you're not coming down with something?

perhaps, I don't feel sick at all. Just the stomach pain last night, migraine this morning and all week my neck has been really painful and stiff. the neck thing bothers me off and on don't know what causes it.

perhaps, I don't feel sick at all. Just the stomach pain last night, migraine this morning and all week my neck has been really painful and stiff. the neck thing bothers me off and on don't know what causes it.

Ok, the "neck pain thing" is the bane of my existence, and my best advice is...get a massage!

It's muscle weakness and it will spark up for no reason.

But if I have it all week...and it is WORSE, something is going on.

Check everything you are eating for CC.

IMHO, the cappuccino is not the culprit.

The chills sounds more like you are fighting an impending infection.  I have on a few occasions ordered a pumpkin spice latte at Starbucks without event.  However, its a CC gamble so as a general rule, I don't really order frothy drinks "out".  I do have a Keurig Vue that I will use to make cappuccino/latte.

As mentioned before, you could be reacting to the dairy…  There are technically no issue with the coffee element but for some people it does ramp up your gut and intestines…  I have a friends that drinks coffee to stay regular!  

Good luck.

Cross contamination!!!! At Starbucks they use the same mini vacuum for the pastry display as they use for the coffee grinder! It deposits crumbs into the coffee grinder and then into your coffee!

This can happen anywhere.

I think its either cc or the milk. I use lactose free milk in my cereal but lately I've been drinking the holiday drinks at Starbucks. Peppermint mochas and the lattes. Now today I have the "D" so something is going on :-(

I probably got too lax during the Holidays and wasn't paying enough attention to what I'm eating.

edited to add: I don't think it's cc from Starbucks, I often have a starbucks and we get coffee there a lot as well. I think I got cc'd during Christmas dinner or something

Cross contamination!!!! At Starbucks they use the same mini vacuum for the pastry display as they use for the coffee grinder! It deposits crumbs into the coffee grinder and then into your coffee!

This can happen anywhere.

GretaJane, Please provide a credible source for this statement.  

Otherwise the reply should not be given any credibility as being true or factual.

Thank you,

Colleen

I think its either cc or the milk. I use lactose free milk in my cereal but lately I've been drinking the holiday drinks at Starbucks. Peppermint mochas and the lattes. Now today I have the "D" so something is going on :-(

I probably got too lax during the Holidays and wasn't paying enough attention to what I'm eating.

edited to add: I don't think it's cc from Starbucks, I often have a starbucks and we get coffee there a lot as well. I think I got cc'd during Christmas dinner or something

If you usually drink lactose free milk - then it was probably an issue with all the milk in the lattes. They are mostly milk.

GretaJane, Please provide a credible source for this statement.  

Otherwise the reply should not be given any credibility as being true or factual.

Thank you,

Colleen

Yes, thank you for that. I would like to know the source of this idea as well. GretaJane, do you have a history of working at Starbucks, maybe? I've spent many years working in coffee shops, and never would have used a vacuum cleaner of any kind to get coffee grounds out of a pot.  

However, I DO know that we often interchanged pumps for syrups, using the caramel one that had been washed and switching it to the chocolate one, for example. Washing gets most of the syrup out of the pump, but not all. That could be a source of cross contamination, but it's a risk that I typically take when I go out. Ain't nobody taking my Starbucks away from me! It's the one treat I am allowed to have when I go out anywhere!