smartcookie

Making Gluten Free Cookies In A Gluten Kitchen?

Rate this topic

Ladies from the church want me to make gluten free baking (cookies, squares, cupcakes…)

*What do I have to do make my kitchen gluten free so there is no cross contamination when I have gluten products throughout my kitchen?

This should probably be its own topic and perhaps in another section. 

Be aware that many people who must eat gluten free would never eat something you've baked in a kitchen that contains gluten.  Unless you have done a total cleaning to ensure no cross contamination, it's not possible to keep the food safe.

I would recommend that you purchase new tools to use such a mixing spoon, measuring spoons, measuring cups, even pans.  You could use foil pans.  If you are not using a mix to make these things you would also want to purchase all new ingredients.  There is too much chance of you having cross contaminated your flour, baking soda, etc.  Even things like plastic wrap and foil could be cross contaminated.

But...  I would hate to have all your hard work go to waste. Before attempting to make these things, you should talk to those who would be eating them to find out if they would be comfortable with what you are making.  Chances are they won't.

Honestly, if it is one specific person/household that needs some extra TLC, go to their house and cook gluten free food for them there.  Have them give you a recipe and write you a grocery list with the specific brand to buy, and then use the staples in their pantry/fridge.  

If there are a few people in the church who have to eat gluten-free and you want to make them feel included in meals and such, search out a gluten-free bakery near you and look into ordering from them.  It will probably cost more than a regular bakery, but it will be cheaper and safer than buying all kinds of stuff to make safe gluten-free stuff in your kitchen and possibly have it go to waste if the person is not comfortable eating it.  You can also get together with one of them and ask them if you can bake gluten-free together with them, but in their kitchen so it is definitely safe, and you bring ingredients or you both go to the store together.

But yes, many sensitive celiacs would not eat something made in an unknown manner for fear of a day in the bathroom, so don't feel insulted if you make something and they politely decline.  Best to ask them first, before going through the trouble.

Alternatives to gluten-free baked goods, if you have meetings and such that there is always food at, just grab some whole fresh fruit and have it there for anyone who needs to abstain from the baked goods, for any of the many health reasons.

Don't know if this is the right place/time for this question...but is a "mixed kitchen" really feasible?  I'm at my wits end.  My sons GI Dr actually said last month that the ONLY way to be Glutened was by ingestion through the mouth.  I don't know that I believe that.  (Both my son & I were diagnosed a year ago last fall)

My family still eats gluten but most meals are gluten free. With that said, I have been gluten-free for over two years and still have damage in my small intestines so I am buying new utensils and super cleaning/organizing my kitchen. It seems to be difficult with kids in the house. My latest complaint is that the kids wash their hands in the kitchen sink and use the towel to dry their hands and wipe their mouth with that we dry dishes with. Habits are hard to break. I am trying it again but may have to do something different.

Renaye