jmjsalaird

Does This Sound Like Celiacs

Rate this topic

Hi

I am new here and posted this in the parenting area but it probably belongs here.

My SIL probably has celiacs (is awaiting biopsy results) and has suggested that I get my sixe year old daughter tested as she has symptoms she is concerned about.

My daughter has always suffered from consitpation, had bad reflux as a baby and was diagnosed as failure to thrive (she is still small for her age).  She had major dental work last year as she had 9 holes in her teeth despite good diet and regular checkups at the dentist.  Her twin brother, so same diet, teeth brushing habits has none.  She also fractured 2 bones last year within 2 months.  She also has major sleep issues and I suspect she has ADHD.

Do these symptoms sound like they could be celiacs.

Thanks

I would def. get your Daughter tested. I would be so worried if it was my lil one as I am sure you are. But I would def. have her tested. 

Yes, with her symptoms she should be tested for Celiac Disease - there is no s in Celiac ;)

If possible find out if your sister already tested positive for any of the celiac antibody blood tests.  If those or her biopsy indicate Celiac Disease, both you and your daughter should request a complete celiac antibody panel.

Good luck to your family :)

I agree with the previous posters - it is definitely worth getting your daughter tested.  If your SIL is a blood-relative I think it would be worth getting your son tested as well, even though he isn't exhibiting symptoms.  If either your SIL or your daughter test postive for Celiac, your son should get tested every couple of years because Celiac can show up later in life.  Many people who have Celiac are asymptomatic and do not exhibit any noticeable symptoms... I was one of them... no symptoms, but got tested (blood test) because it runs in my family.  My blood test came back positive and my endoscopy showed moderate to severe villi damage.  So definitely worth getting tested.

Oops...my misread...I thought you said sister...

Correction...If your SIL is positive all of her siblings and your children should be tested.

Yes I am obviously very concerned about my daughter.  She has a pead appointment on Thursday so I am hoping we get some testing underway.  I am not exactly sure what blood tests my SIL had but do know that she definitely came back positive for the gene.  If she does come back positive (still has a two week wait unfortunately) then DH will get tested and both out other three children.

I am not exactly sure what blood tests my SIL had but do know that she definitely came back positive for the gene.

Just in case you not aware, having the gene(s) does not mean you have or will ever get Celiac.  Approx. 30% or more of the population has the gene(s) but only a few actually develop Celiac (I think it's 1%).

Just in case you not aware, having the gene(s) does not mean you have or will ever get Celiac.  Approx. 30% or more of the population has the gene(s) but only a few actually develop Celiac (I think it's 1%).

Right 30% of population has one or both genes.

Approx 1% of poplulation has Celiac Disease.

Last numbers I read -- 6% of population has Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity.