This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Borriello Brothers Gluten Free Pizza

icelandgirl

icelandgirl Proficient

Has anyone had the gluten free pizza at Borriello Brothers?  If so, how was it?  Is it safe?  It's only been a week since my diagnosis, but my family does pizza/movie night on Fridays and I really want to be able to do this with my kids.

Any help is appreciated!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I looked them up and they are in Colorado.  There are lots of gluten-free choices in Colorado.  Beau Jos is a good one.  You should call them when they aren't busy and a manger might be there - like 11 a.m.  Ask them if they use fresh toppings.  The biggest problem with gluten-free pizzas is that they use the same cheese, sauce, etc.   They smooth out a crust and put that hand in the cheese, use the ladle for the sauce and use it to spread the sauce, etc.  

One thing we did when I first went gluten-free was to buy frozen gluten-free pizza crusts - I would make my own and let them get something else.  Or make them for all of us.  You can put whatever you like on yours that way.  It is easy and quick.

You might Google Celiac support Groups and your City name.  I bet there is a big one in Denver and they might have a list of places to eat.

kareng Grand Master

Did not see this on their website on first look.  I would  eat this!  I'm looking to see where all the locations are.  Hoping for Breck or Vail Or Dillon or Frisco!

"Borriello Brothers Real NY Pizza uses a 10" gluten free crust with sauce, cheese, and toppings that are separated from the regular pizza assembly area.  The pizzas are also cooked in a separate oven from the regular pizzas.  We do our best to prevent cross-contamination, but our kitchens are a high gluten environment.  Those who are extremely sensitive to gluten should use caution when ordering."

LauraTX Rising Star

Looks like a place I would try.  If you have kids, a make your own pizza night would probably be a hit.  Let them make smiley faces with hormel pepperoni, etc.  

icelandgirl Proficient

Thanks Laura! Do you make your own pizza? If so, do you use a mix for the dough or make from scratch? I like the idea of it but not sure where to start.

LauraTX Rising Star

I would say the least weird one to start with, and my favorite, is Chebe.  It is a box mix, usually 3-4 dollars, and makes two 11 inch pizzas or one 14 inch pizza.  It calls for an egg, a little oil, milk, and a cup of shredded cheese-I use parmesean.  It isn't sticky like some of the other gluten-free pizza crust mixes, and you actually do knead it a little.  It is mostly tapioca starch.  Makes a nice thin crust, and I prebake it before adding toppings.  It doesn't use yeast, so it is faster and easier than some other mixes.  It tastes like regular pizza.  You can also find some gluten-free pizza crusts in the freezer section of the store, there are a couple different ones out there, but I never cared for any of them.

For sauce I use classico pizza sauce, says gluten-free on the back and perfect for two pizzas.  Hormel pepperoni is gluten-free (also says on the package so no guesswork) and you can go crumbled sausage or bacon, too.  And of course, veggies- nom nom!  If you do pineapple on the pizza, squeeze as much liquid out as you can so it doesn't make the pizza soggy.

Archived