This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Low Iga

BelleInBoots

BelleInBoots Newbie

Hey Everyone,

Is a low IGA anything to be worried about?

Component Standard Range Your Value Flag TISSUE TRANSGLUTAMINASE IGA <4 u/ml <1   Value Interpretation
<4 U/mL: No Antibody Detected
>or=4 U/mL: Antibody Detected IGA 81 - 463 mg/dL 42 L GLIADIN IGA, EIA <20 units 4   Value Interpretation
<20: Antibody not detected
>=20: Antibody detected GLIADIN IGG, EIA <20 units 4   Value Interpretation
<20: Antibody not detected
>=20: Antibody detected RETICULIN IGA Negative Negative   RETICULIN IGG, SERUM, QUAL Negative Negative   ADDITIONAL TESTING   not indicated.   Test Performed by Quest, Chantilly,
Quest Diagnostics Nichols Institute,
14225 Newbrook Drive, Chantilly, VA 20151
Kenneth Sisco, M.D., Ph.D., Director of Laboratories
(703) 802-6900, CLIA 49D0221801 COMMENT 01   Not Indicated.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I only know that low IGA will invalidate any IGA related celiac testing. Others can hopefully give you more info.

SkyBlue4 Apprentice

I'm told it doesn't mean a whole lot but it did explain why I seem to catch every little cold my kids bring home.  <_<

"People with selective IgA deficiency are usually asymptomatic,Open Original Shared LinkOpen Original Shared Link but can have increased frequency of infections, particularly in the respiratory, digestive and genitourinary systems, for example, Open Original Shared Link and Open Original Shared Link. These infections are generally mild and would not usually lead to an in-depth workup except when unusually frequent."

Open Original Shared Link

"How common is IgA deficiency in those with celiac disease?

2-5% of those with celiac disease are IgA-deficient, and 0.5-1% of the general population. If IgA deficient, or if there is some other equivocating factor to potentially compromise the blood test, then an Open Original Shared Link is also given."

Open Original Shared Link

nvsmom Community Regular

For me, those labs are hard to read. Your IgA was a 42 and the range was 81-463? If that's right then ditto the previous posters: your low IgA will make all other IgA based celiac tests invalid. You'll need to run the IgG based tests. You should probably have more testing down as the tests they ran on you are pretty outdated. Almost no one uses the reticulin tests anymore and the AGA (anti-gliadin antibdies) tests are going the same way... out.

If you want more testing, ask for the:

DGP IgG (demaminated gliadin peptides)

tTG IgG (tissue transglutiminase)

EMA IgG (endomysial)

Then there is always the endoscopic biopsy and then a gluten-free diet to try.  

Best wishes.

Archived