Lee uk

Glucosamine And Vitamins

Rate this topic

Could taking vitamins affect any nutrient testing if it was a full blood count? As in, cover up a deficiency? For what it's worth I wouldn't imagine that they would affect the actual coeliac tests. 

Could taking vitamins affect any nutrient testing if it was a full blood count? As in, cover up a deficiency? For what it's worth I wouldn't imagine that they would affect the actual coeliac tests. 

You wouldn't have a deficiency if the vitamin pill  was being absorbed.  So, in  a way, it would cover up a deficiency.  That is how it would work for anyone - Celiac or not.  For example, If I take multi-vitamins and my iron, D, etc are good, I would probably keep taking the vitamin because things are good.  And I want them to stay good.  With Celiac, if you are taking the vitamins and you are still low - that is a good indicator to the doctor that something is going on. A smart doc would then want to test for things like Celiac, that could explain why you are still deficient despite eating vitamin pills, fortified cereal, etc.   I wouldn't stop taking the vitamins just to see how low you can go and how tired you can feel.

No matter how badly damaged your intestines are, there are still little parts that can absorb the vitamins.  You would want to make sure you have the iron, D, etc available for that small part to "eat".