Rate this topic

Is there a substitute for butter? Or a margarine I can use? For lactose intolerant? Butter is Killin me! Or can I use the stuff for lactose intolerant? Forget the name of it off hand. Just amazes me how delicate I really am. Used to be a joke. Lol not so much anymore!

When I had to be dairy free for the first 9 months or so, (and that was awful because I LOVE cheese and BUTTAH, as we say in Boston lol.) I discovered that some margarines contain butter. Crazy, I know.  

I used ghee (or clarified butter) and it did not bother me. Clarifying removes the casein and the lactose. Maybe you could try that? I have always used KerryGold butter and it will render you some yummy ghee.

Just  a suggestion!

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/15235810877/d-i-y-ghee

OR you can buy it.

Thanks! I will Def. Make some! Might have to run to the store today for some of that nice irish butter :) I am so glad I don't have to give it up! :) Whew! I was so upset when I figured that part out! Ughhhhh! How stupid of me! 

Thanks! I will Def. Make some! Might have to run to the store today for some of that nice irish butter :) I am so glad I don't have to give it up! :) Whew! I was so upset when I figured that part out! Ughhhhh! How stupid of me! 

You aren't stupid, hon. This is all a giant education--for us all. Hope the ghee works out for you! :) 

OMG The Ghee tastes wonderful! How easy was that to make also!! Sorry it didn't work out for you Diane :( I have not used too much of it as of yet. But it taste amazing! I have not bought that fantastic butter yet either. I just made it with good ole butter! Salted kind too! 

Diane my Daughter just said to me tonight you can try Coconut oil mom alot of people use that instead. Love my Coconut Oil! 

But seriously the Ghee I am hoping will do the trick. I think it has already helped! 

You aren't stupid, hon. This is all a giant education--for us all. Hope the ghee works out for you! :)

I just did not realize Butter was on the NONO list! Lol I didn't know it had Lactose in it. Yea talk about giant education! ... might be an understatement! I told the neighbor about my food issues, he said and Dave is still here? You mean he hasn't shot you and put you out of your misery? LOL I said hey as long as theres fresh fruit , veggies and Meat! I can eat! :) Not hard!

Please don't use imitation butter, there is so much "junk" in it!!   The ghee is good and you might want to give the coconut oil a try.  Yummy! Use it just like butter.  Smear a little over some roasted veggies....good stuff!

Please don't use imitation butter, there is so much "junk" in it!!   The ghee is good and you might want to give the coconut oil a try.  Yummy! Use it just like butter.  Smear a little over some roasted veggies....good stuff!

I have never liked imitation butter or margarine , I do use Coconut oil but usually not in place of butter. I have tasted it and it doesn't really have a taste. So I will continue to cook with it but as for substitute for butter I will use my Clarified butter :) Thanks everyone. Just love it! 

This may sound a bit silly, but I really don't know!  Does ghee contain whey?  Or is it rendered out?  Lactose is a problem for me, but now either casein or whey is also a problem.  I'm not sure which one is making me miserable when it's mistakenly eaten.