Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

tealeaves1

Anyone Have Inconclusive Biopsy Results?

Rate this topic

I recently received the biopsy results and am waiting for the GI doctor to get back to me on interpretation, the pathologist stated clinical correlation is required.  The biopsy results showed Mildly reactive duodenal mucosa, mildly increased intraepithelial lymphocytes, Lamin propria inflammation and the biopsy did say the villi were intact.  I looked up what could cause the abnormalities and the most common cause was latent celiac disease but other things could cause it. 

My EMA was negative and TTG IgA was in the 50's (normal <20).

Anyone else had an inconclusive biopsy?  What was the next step?  

I agree. You have had one positive (for sure) celiac test, and one test (biopsy) which could be celac, so I would go with celiac disease as a diagnosis and try the diet for a good six months.... Try for six months as many symptoms take months to improve, so if you quit too soon you might mss the benefits and think the diet did not help. A food and symptom journal will help you keep track if your improvements too.

Best wishes. :)

TTG IgA was in the 50's (normal <20).

Welcome.  You have Celiac.  Some doctors won't give a firm diagnosis without a confirming biopsy, but the biopsy can easily miss it.  The damage in the small intestine increases and decreases over time and is spotty - and easily missed.  But with these IgA numbers, you have Celiac.  Go gluten-free.  100%.  No cheating.  No cross-contamination.  If your symptoms go away then you'll know in your own for sure that you have Celiac.