adeline

Awaiting Labs, Possibly Celiac

Rate this topic

Hi all, just introducing myself. I had a celiac panel pulled Wednesday, I will have access to everything once the results are back, I just don't know the specific tests that were pulled. I should know better, as I have thyroid disease and had to push to get my doc to test more than TSH and FT4. Anyway...

I have been having issues for probably 6 months now. I was diagnosed hypothyroid in October 2012, and while I am doing well with my medication, I never feel like I fully recovered. The past 6 months, I've dropped a drastic amount of weight (from 120 at the height of hypothyroid to about 90 a few weeks ago), have had off and on night sweats (frequent and drenching in the past month), stabbing gut pains, and crazy itchiness all over my legs that leads to me scraping layers of skin off. It looks patchy and spotted by the time I'm done. The main problem has been my inability to eat, which has contributed to the weight loss greatly.

My appetite is mostly normal!! But I will start to eat, get a few bites in, maybe a quarter of the way through a meal, and my stomach just stops. It churns and it lurches and I start feeling sick. I haven't actually vomited as a result of this, but I feel like it could happen. Swallowing becomes difficult and I get a couple bites in before I know I'm done. It is SO frustrating.

For the past month or so, i've been supplementing with Ensure Plus and Luna bars, I've subscribed to Graze and Love with Food boxes, and keep nuts and snacks on hand. Just to take in extra calories, good foods. I went from eating out 95% of the time to eating in 95% of the time this month. It's been easy and a great change, but lots of sandwiches and pasta. I have gained back 10lbs so far!

My tonsils, ugh, have been awful war zones for the past couple years but have been AWFUL these past few months. I don't know if it's worse with gluten or dairy, but it's probably both. When a now ex of mine used to cook with heavy cream, I'd be in the bathroom right after dinner, so I think it's safe to say I'm lactose intolerant. But I don't avoid dairy. I guess it's time to make more changes.

I did a gluten free trial in October. For 3 weeks or a little longer. I started feeling better (especially around meal time), but a few weeks after resuming gluten, it all came back. I've been under a crazy amount of stress recently with my job, and life in general, so yes, I am just now following up with the doctor.

My GP ran a celiac panel as well as a test for H. Pylori, both were things she mentioned as I described my symptoms. I am now patiently waiting for my test results. I am terrified of the results, mostly because of the ramifications this is going to have on the rest of my health.

Other things of consideration: I am chronically Vit D deficient and usually need to supplement D3 to make my GP happy. Also my cholesterol has been on the rise for the past 2 years.

So, hello everyone!

Hello

I too am in the same boat. I am actually waiting on insurance to approve the test so I can proceed. I have been gluten free for almost a year and improving by leaps and bounds its nice to feel normal. I only just got to see the dr. and after all the history review on family and such plus my symptoms and improvement she is pretty sure that is what the problem is.

I have struggled my whole life with digestive issues. feeling foggy distracted, headaches, painful joints all that fun stuff, I was doing some research and came across some info on gluten and started looking into it. I met with my regular family dr. and talked to her and she agreed it was worth a try and wow what a difference. I am older though and not sure what damage I will face. Now that I have talked with a GI dr. I am convinced I did the right thing and she said I need this test so I know.  I know its awful probably to be relieved that you have something, but for me I guess its a relief to know that all this can change and I can feel normal for the first time. Hope all goes well and quick for you praying you get some answers. :)

Hello

I too am in the same boat. I am actually waiting on insurance to approve the test so I can proceed. I have been gluten free for almost a year and improving by leaps and bounds its nice to feel normal. I only just got to see the dr. and after all the history review on family and such plus my symptoms and improvement she is pretty sure that is what the problem is.

I have struggled my whole life with digestive issues. feeling foggy distracted, headaches, painful joints all that fun stuff, I was doing some research and came across some info on gluten and started looking into it. I met with my regular family dr. and talked to her and she agreed it was worth a try and wow what a difference. I am older though and not sure what damage I will face. Now that I have talked with a GI dr. I am convinced I did the right thing and she said I need this test so I know.  I know its awful probably to be relieved that you have something, but for me I guess its a relief to know that all this can change and I can feel normal for the first time. Hope all goes well and quick for you praying you get some answers. :)

You have been gluten-free for a year? No point in taking the blood test. Even if you have celiac it should come back negative. You need to have been eating gluten for a while to make the antibodies that show up in the blood test. It's a shame doctors have no clue.

Yes, chances are you are healed. Most assuredly your blood tests will not be accurate. The good news is that you are now avoiding most complications.

So, based on your year of being gluten free and seeing improvement, continue to stay the course. You can think about testing your kids or siblings. Again they must be eating gluten!

By the way, I am officially diagnosed, but my husband is not (uninformed doctors like yours). He has been gluten-free for 13 years and is healthy!

Does anyone know if it will help if a close family member is diagnosed My dad is being tested have not heard back yet. He is in his seventies and had GI issues like this for years  in his late sixties he was rushed to er for sever cramping and vomiting and ct scan showed 11 inches of small intestine dead , blocked everything, so straight into surgery and then they said he had chronze disease. wel,l heard later He had a wheat allergy from when he was young so he told his dr. about me and they were very interested to test him so we will see. Both of my kids now 20 and 22 have digestive issues too so I have encouraged them to get tested while they are still on our insurance.

I think it helps a lot! Family members will not have to suffer for years before getting a diagnosis.

Yes and I was hoping it would help them know more so I can be diagnosed too one way or the other.