Rate this topic

Just curious if anyone who tried gluten-free before testing actually made it through a gluten trial. I was hospitalized after just 10 days of gluten trial and I had to stop for sheer survival. (had a TIA which affected my speech and made my right side numb, I really didn't want to go on to have a full blown stroke!)

It seems that my experience may not be that unusual, though many people last longer than 10 days!

Did anyone actually do a gluten trial and go on to get properly diagnosed? I was reading a blog post about someone who did a 2 month gluten challenge, suffered through really bad symptoms and went on to get blood tests--which were negative anyway.

Yes.  I've seen many folks diagnosed after trial.   That said, I've also see some fail and wonder "what if" they had been tested before removing gluten.  It is especially frustrating when a doctor says to give gluten-free a try before pulling blood.