tri-gal

Intestines Bulging? Should I Worry?

Rate this topic

I am non-dx, and have been gluten-free for 11 months, with resolution of symptoms. However,   I have been experiencing either flare ups or some other issue with my intestines. I often get this bulge around my belly button area, mostly on the right side, just below.  Could my intestines be inflamed?  Would a colonoscopy be useful or an elimination diet?

thanks so much.

Thank you. Good point. I have edited down my post as I realized I was getting way too far into medical issues. I've decided to see if the intestinal aspect is something others experience. thanks again - you are  right.

Keep looking for answers, do talk to your doctors -- if it continues an elimination diet should happen in addition to medical investigation.

I've had intestinal inflammation continue despite being completely gluten-free these past five years -- it can be very frustrating finding the cause.

If you are getting an actual palpable bulge it's probably not celiac, more likely to be an umbilical hernia. Not sure about your situation but women that have had babies tend to have more issues with them but they are more common in females in general.

However, you should consult with you physician so they can properly diagnose the problem.

thanks for the suggestion.

maybe bulge is the wrong word. But it's good to raise other possibilities, and I know what you mean as women can get abdominal separation quite commonly too.

In my case, when inflamed, my intestines contract and swell.  It is definitely intestinal -  I get accompanying intestinal upset and problems down under. Doc has historically called it IBS. I think this "flare" may be a glutening after all as now I've developed my migraine too. I didn't give my full  history, but I'm quite certain to have celiac based on my symptoms going back to childhood and then severe onset after last child, birth being a known trigger for severe onset: intestinal  pain, fermentation, ballooning, malabsorption, low iron, b-12, folate, unflushable, sticky tar, rapid weight loss, migraines, balance, fog, itch, mouth ulcers, to top off my teeth missing enamel since child hood and lack of menses until 16.anyway, now I'm just trying to sort out why I get these episodes of inflammation, (Crohn's comes to mind), but I think it is a cc issue.

thanks for the suggestion.

maybe bulge is the wrong word. But it's good to raise other possibilities, and I know what you mean as women can get abdominal separation quite commonly too.

In my case, when inflamed, my intestines contract and swell.  It is definitely intestinal -  I get accompanying intestinal upset and problems down under. Doc has historically called it IBS. I think this "flare" may be a glutening after all as now I've developed my migraine too. I didn't give my full  history, but I'm quite certain to have celiac based on my symptoms going back to childhood and then severe onset after last child, birth being a known trigger for severe onset: intestinal  pain, fermentation, ballooning, malabsorption, low iron, b-12, folate, unflushable, sticky tar, rapid weight loss, migraines, balance, fog, itch, mouth ulcers, to top off my teeth missing enamel since child hood and lack of menses until 16.anyway, now I'm just trying to sort out why I get these episodes of inflammation, (Crohn's comes to mind), but I think it is a cc issue.

Mine contract and swell as well.  Not as bad as prior to dx...unless I run into my severe intolerances which cause extreme abdominal swelling due to an overload of histamine in the digestive system.

If you are not, try keeping a food/symptom log as it can help figure out the cause of lingering inflammation triggers.