Rate this topic

I went of gluten 8 weeks ago to see if it would make a difference to the stomach issues I was having. The majority of my symptoms stayed exactly the same. 4 weeks ago I went of all dairy and all my symptoms were completely gone within about 5 days. I am thinking it was the dairy and not the gluten that was responsible for my health issues. I tested negative for celiac that was done prior to me coming of gluten by biopsy. I want to try and reintroduce wheat/gluten and wondered if there was a certain way I should try this? Just eat something? eat something small? eat a large amount of wheat hoping to set of a reaction? Eat wheat for several days and then stop and wait? How should I approach this?

Most of us have celiac disease or are intolerant of gluten.  We would not know the best way to re-introduce wheat, because we cannot - ever.

I can tell you the recommended amount of gluten for a gluten challenge is one slice of glutenous bread per day.

It sounds like you have pretty conclusive evidence that likely gluten is not the problem and dairy is.  I would add it back in slowly, and make sure you aren't radically changing your eating habits (For example: Being able to eat out again so you go have a bunch of high fat restaurant meals).  Maybe a slice of toast with breakfast, or a sandwich, something simple that fits into your normal dietary habits.  Some people have both non celiac gluten intolerance and dairy intolerance, so if your symptoms come back, you may need to stay off both.  For your sanity I hope it is just dairy! :)

I would consider keeping a symptoms / food journal while you re-introduce gluten. For some people, certain symptoms will appear very quickly while other symptoms will creep up and build over time. Keeping a journal for a few weeks, or a month or so, may help you catch any changes.

Good luck! 

My doc would recommend eating a bowl of plain Cream of Wheat made with water and nothing else added. Then start tracking your symptoms for up to two days. No bread as you might be reacting to other ingrediants. Do not eat any other wheat products until the 3rd day. Be sure to eat other foods like veggies, fruit and protein.

Alas, no wheat for me. That is a challenge I will never do!