Rate this topic

Okay, this is one thing that I still don't understand:

Apparently the government regulation for gluten free is under 20 PPM. I get that.

But, are there legal requirements for manufacturer's to test their products to under 20 PPM in order to slap a gluten free label on? Or can any manufacturer just claim that their product is gluten free even if it contains over 20 PPM or is untested?

http://www.fda.gov/food/guidanceregulation/guidancedocumentsregulatoryinformation/allergens/ucm362880.htm

This is a good place to look for answers to all your questions. Remember, before now everything was completely unregulated. Anyone could say anything they wanted about whatever they wanted and as long as it wasn't an outright lie, they were above reproach. Except by the gluten free community.

Hmmm...I didn't find a date where that rule went into effect. Have they yet to enforce it?

Just wondered because there's one product labeled gluten free and I'm fairly familiar with the company that produces it and I'd be shocked if they tested for gluten and it's definitely made on shared equipment. 

It is not in effect until August or September something or other. The fall. And nothing is stopping anyone from using shared facilities, shared lines or forcing them to label if they do.