This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Alcohol

Steph1

Steph1 Apprentice

Sorry for beating a dead horse here, (wow what an awful idiom), but I am planning on having a few drinks tonight and am apprehensive.  The last 2 times that I drank ( the only 2 times since going gluten free about a year ago) I had bad reactions.  The first time I had vodka, so I can confidently say it was the gluten.  The next time it was  crown royal.  It seems people think this should be ok?  I had a heavy feeling in my lungs, was very hoarse, and was coughing up phlegm plus extremely tired for a few days both times.  I plan on having wine, which seems like it should be absolutely ok as far as gluten goes, but if the crown should have been ok, maybe I am reacting to something else?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Maybe alcohol isn't for you? Are you taking any medication that might react with it?

cyclinglady Grand Master

It took me about a year before my body could handle alcohol. Everyone heals at a different rate. Yes, you could also be reacting to something like sulfites in wine which is naturally gluten free. I worry about the way the bartender cleans glasses! Search the forum for alcohol discussions.

If you are still worried, drink a Soda.

IrishHeart Veteran

The first time I had vodka, so I can confidently say it was the gluten.  The next time it was  crown royal.  It seems people think this should be ok? 

But, that's not true, hon.

I drink vodka. Daily. There's no gluten involved.If there were, I'd be dead by now. ^_^

Distilled alcohol is gluten free.

So, if you felt lousy after drinking, it's because your gut just cannot handle it. Maybe you should wait a while before trying it

I waited a year after Dx to try it. My GI tract was a mess. . 

Wi11ow Apprentice

It took me about a year before my body could handle alcohol.

I drink vodka. Daily. .

I waited a year after Dx to try it. My GI tract was a mess. . 

How do you know when to try it again? One of my main symptoms is nausea and stomach pain. But I am on prescription acid suppressors until damage heals. GI said maybe from now on :(

I think change in diet fixed it, I was still nauseated taking the PPI...

Do you just have one drink and wait and see? Try one a week?  Have a few and see?

disclaimer - I realize I proly need to wait more than 3 weeks <G>

Steph1 Apprentice

Thank you everyone for the advice.  I didn't drink. I can't even handle gluten-free crackers/ cereal etc. yet.  I will wait on the alcohol too.

mommyto2kids Collaborator

I can now drink white wine. So I have some everyday. Probably more than I should. Give it time and try white wine when you are better.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Steph1 Apprentice

I can now drink white wine. So I have some everyday. Probably more than I should. Give it time and try white wine when you are better.

You don't have to tell me twice!  Pinot grigio is my favorite.  I chose other drinks over the past year because I was afraid wine would mess me up too much.  Hmm I'm guessing wine was bad too then, it was a long time ago and I don't remember, but why else would I have been trying different stuff?  Ughh healing the gut is going to be so tedious, but obviously worth it.  I am going to start a new thread with a question about that.

MermaidPaz Newbie

I have issues when I consume a lot of foods containing yeast, especially while my gut is still healing.  During this time I stay away from alcohol as well as kombucha, fermented foods or gluten free breads that are leavened with yeast.  Once I have healed up a little I can have a glass or two of wine on occasion without problems.

Steph1 Apprentice

I thought fermented food is good for the gut?

MermaidPaz Newbie

Fermented foods have a lot of health benefits, but they contain some amount of yeast.  Yeast is necessary and healthy for a body, but if your body cannot balance the amount of yeast it can cause things like urinary symptoms or yeast infections.  For some in the celiac community it can be a cross-reactant also.  I find that especially after being glutened, my body has a difficult time balancing, so the yeast takes over if I consume drinks containing yeast too regularly.

kareng Grand Master

Fermented foods have a lot of health benefits, but they contain some amount of yeast.  Yeast is necessary and healthy for a body, but if your body cannot balance the amount of yeast it can cause things like urinary symptoms or yeast infections.  For some in the celiac community it can be a cross-reactant also.  I find that especially after being glutened, my body has a difficult time balancing, so the yeast takes over if I consume drinks containing yeast too regularly.

There is really no valid science to this " cross- reactivity ".

Open Original Shared Link

What’s with all the talk about certain types of food causing “cross-reactivity?”

There is not yet reliable data about cross-reactivity. As for the alleged possibility that many gluten-free foods or drinks (such as coffee, milk, orange juice, etc.) would trigger symptoms in celiac individuals due to hidden antigens mimicking gluten or cross-reacting with anti-gluten antibodies, it must be clearly stated that this is all false information, devoid of any scientific basis, and must be rejected as untrue.

cyclinglady Grand Master

I have issues when I consume a lot of foods containing yeast, especially while my gut is still healing.  During this time I stay away from alcohol as well as kombucha, fermented foods or gluten free breads that are leavened with yeast.  Once I have healed up a little I can have a glass or two of wine on occasion without problems.

Maybe or maybe not....I would not count on it. Some food intolerances resolve, but some never do. But we can always hope!

MermaidPaz Newbie

Kareng, your link has no information except to say that it's not true.  I would encourage you to do some more research on cross-reactivity.  Because we develop antigens to specific parts of the proteins that bother us and not the entire protein itself, it's not out of the realm of possibility for sensitivities to one food to exhibit in reaction to another food that happens to have the same sequences of protein. It does not occur in everyone.  Dr. David Clark has a fairly simple video in mostly layman's terms on youtube.  He even drops the name of the doctor who published the study in early 2013 including information on cross-reactivity, Dr. Aristo Vojdani.  There is quite a depth of information he has to offer on the subject. The published medical paper is available online.

kareng Grand Master

Kareng, your link has no information except to say that it's not true.  I would encourage you to do some more research on cross-reactivity.  Because we develop antigens to specific parts of the proteins that bother us and not the entire protein itself, it's not out of the realm of possibility for sensitivities to one food to exhibit in reaction to another food that happens to have the same sequences of protein. It does not occur in everyone.  Dr. David Clark has a fairly simple video in mostly layman's terms on youtube.  He even drops the name of the doctor who published the study in early 2013 including information on cross-reactivity, Dr. Aristo Vojdani.  There is quite a depth of information he has to offer on the subject. The published medical paper is available online.

I actually have and choose to listen to the research of actual doctors over Chiropracters. I use the Univ. of Chicago celiac center links because they are easy to find and read for most people. Also, they participate & initiate some of the leading research in Celiac disease. I attended the ICDS in Sept and this was not a topic.

Archived