Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

sidelined

What Supplements Do You Take And Why?

Rate this topic

I currently am taking digestive enzymes, probiotics, Vitamin D, iron, B12 and folic acid due to possible Celiac Disease (unfortunately I went gluten free before learning this). 

Curious what everyone else here takes, why and if it has helped!

Thanks so much!

I take all liquid vitamins...ionic everything, plus ionic minerals of Postassium, Magnesium, Zinc, Calcium, and an Ionic Blood Sugar Support blend of Manganese, Vanadium, Chromium, Fulvic Acid, and all 72 trace minerals...four times a day in one cup of raw homemade veggie juice.  Can't taste them, and they absorb before they hit the Upper GI tract.

I have new probiotics and enzymes on order, so no idea how those help...I am sure they will add something to the mix.

I defininitely noticed the ionic minerals when I started them, as they are the electrolytes that help run your brain.  I know I have mal-absorption of zinc and protein (my fingernails show it), but this is only a week old with going off gluten, so I won't know for a while when I begin to absorb them again.  On the other hand, I feel awfully good for just 6 days on Gluten Free...have more energy and better sleep, with slightly less stomach cramps.

I don't worry about overdoing the vitamin and minerals...I watch my urine, and as soon as I notice it getting more than light yellow I cut back...and when it goes too pale, add them back in again.

I also take Primrose Oil and Remifemin for bad Hot Flashes...it cut the intensity by about 2/3.

I currently am taking digestive enzymes, probiotics, Vitamin D, iron, B12 and folic acid due to possible Celiac Disease (unfortunately I went gluten free before learning this). 

Curious what everyone else here takes, why and if it has helped!

Thanks so much!

I take Probiotics, Digestive Enzyme when needed, Fish Oil, Quercetin, and a Multi-Vitamin.  Unless a blood test tells you there is a deficiency you do not need to supplement additionally.  Overuse of supplements can be dangerous and they are not subject to FDA Guidelines.  There are studies that show there may be other substances and/or less or more of the titled supplement.

I take all liquid vitamins...ionic everything, plus ionic minerals of Postassium, Magnesium, Zinc, Calcium, and an Ionic Blood Sugar Support blend of Manganese, Vanadium, Chromium, Fulvic Acid, and all 72 trace minerals...four times a day in one cup of raw homemade veggie juice.  Can't taste them, and they absorb before they hit the Upper GI tract.

I have new probiotics and enzymes on order, so no idea how those help...I am sure they will add something to the mix.

I defininitely noticed the ionic minerals when I started them, as they are the electrolytes that help run your brain.  I know I have mal-absorption of zinc and protein (my fingernails show it), but this is only a week old with going off gluten, so I won't know for a while when I begin to absorb them again.  On the other hand, I feel awfully good for just 6 days on Gluten Free...have more energy and better sleep, with slightly less stomach cramps.

I don't worry about overdoing the vitamin and minerals...I watch my urine, and as soon as I notice it getting more than light yellow I cut back...and when it goes too pale, add them back in again.

I also take Primrose Oil and Remifemin for bad Hot Flashes...it cut the intensity by about 2/3.

Questor,

Using your Urine color as an indicator for supplement needs is not reliable as many things may effect the color.  In my opinion, you should be tested for deficiencies before you supplement heavily as you appear to be doing.  All of those supplements may be contraindicated and may also be dangerous.

Colleen

I take a creatine capsule most every day, it helps my energy.  It is also sposed to help control blood sugar.

I take a Naturemade plus 50 for Him multi-vitamin and minerals daily.  Usually daily.  I figure it might be helpful, especially the minerals.

I take a NatureMade 5000 IU vitamin D capusle often altho not so much now that it's summer here.  I keep them in the refrig since they are an oil.

I take a Raw thyroid capsule on Wednesdays.  It seems to help my overall feeling of wellness.

I take an Essential Enzymes sometimes when eating a large meal or having digestive issues.

I take a Betaine HCL if I eat a large meal of meat.

I take Jarrow pro-biotics once in a while.  If I am having a digestive problem I take them more often.

I eat a Brazil nut once a week although I'll probably get a selenium supplement to take instead.  I was feeling very run down and tired and started taking more selenium and it helped a lot.

It's true that some vitamins are stored in the body and other are not stored long term.  I think it's worth checking onto that issue.  There are water-soluble and oil soluble vitamins.  I am pretty sure it's the oil soluble ones that can be stored.  The water-soluble ones can go right on out.  So they need to be replenished daily, if you want to maintain their levels.

Discussion of water-soluble vitamins

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/list-watersoluble-vitamins-4977.html

I am taking a B complex and 2000 IU of Vitamin per the doctor and blood tests done recently. I was already taking a smaller amount.

I just started taking a probiotic based on information I learned from here.

2 Fish oil supplements for Omega 3 based on the amount of inflammation I have.

Magnesium based on low blood tests and the other meds I am on. I don't know how long I will be taking that

My iron/feririn level was low, but doc said he wasn't too worried about it yet.

I ran out of my multivitamin and haven't replaced it.

I take NatureMade gummies multi vitamins. They don't have iron so they don't make me sick, and they have folic acid which I am actually deficient in. Since citrus fruits give me migraines and I have issues with having enough energy, I figure a multi with C and Bs is better for me than just the folic acid I was told to take. My folic acid is a normal level again. I won't take anything else unless I test low. I don't see the point in supplementing a bunch of stuff I don't need as I eat a fairly well balanced diet and don't have money to waste on useless crap.

I would only take supplements if you've actually tested as being deficient in something. Most of the single-vitamin supplements are fairly high doses - which means that it is highly likely that you'll have side effects. Even vitamins that are water soluable can build up in your system enough to cause problems. Not to mention that many supplements are synthetic.

If you haven't been tested for deficiencies and just want to take supplements, taking a multivitamin would be safer because of the lower dosages, but even then, I wouldn't take one ever day because the chances are so good that you'll be getting too much of something you don't need. For instance, some people have had overdoses of B6 supplements just from how much B6 was in their multivitamin, resulting in nerve pain in their hands and feet that can become permanent.

Vitamin D supplements are hard on the kidneys. They raise blood calcium levels which causes vein problems as well. Better to get some sun than to take a supplement.

B12 supplements are all synthetic and cause acne and foliculitis. A better source is to eat animal-sourced foods.

Excess iron raises your risk of heart attack. If your supplement dose were too high, you'd become constipated, but otherwise the symptoms of having too much iron would go unnoticed though could still cause major problems.

I personally think that probiotics are overrated. If you've been on antibiotics or had diarrhea recently, they could help get things back on track, but they shouldn't be part of a long-term plan. Better would be a diet that helped healthy bacteria to thrive - meaning lots of organic fruits and vegetables in wide variety. If you wanted to take probiotics long term, again, I wouldn't do it daily.

I know less about digestive enzymes but again, unless you're trying to overcome a specific digestive problem for a certain type of food, I wouldn't presume that they'd be something that you should be taking just because gluten is a problem for you.