This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Overdoing It

Celiacandme

Celiacandme Apprentice

I've just recently hit the 7 month mark of being gluten free. (Diagnosed in Nov)

I am curious from a celiac disease standpoint - does anyone else here get completely beat when you've overdone it? Or did you while your body was still adjusting or in recovering phase? I've done a lot more yesterday and today than I normally do in a day or have been able to do. (I've pushed myself bc of hosting my son's birthday party tomorrow)

I'm just at a point where I feel beat, not sure how I can finish everything else, my stomach feels bloated/upset, I'm slightly nauseous, a little dizzy, and my skin seems sensitive. I'm curious if other celiac's go through this? If this matters, I have not yet reached a point since being diagnosed with celiac's where I feel good. Just some days, or time of the day, are better than others.

(This may have more to do with the fact that the rheum diagnosed me with lupus in the end of March. That's why I'm curious to hear whether or not anyone else experiences this because of having celiac disease.)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Wi11ow Apprentice

I may not be the right one to answer - still new at this...

But after just over 3 weeks of gluten-free, I was feeling better. Stomach problems were clearing up, more energy, head felt clearer. I even didn't feel so hungry all the time and not sleeping during the day every day. I went for a 30 minute hike with a friend of mine. Was suppose to just be a little walk. It had hills and was more than I had done in months.... I ended up sleeping on and off for the next 2 days. Felt like I used all the new energy I had from going gluten-free.....

I hope you feel better and can get some rest.

kareng Grand Master

I think it has more to do with either your lupus or your stamina. If you haven't felt well for long time, you might need to build up your ability to stand for long periods, run after kids, cleaning the house, etc.

GF Lover Rising Star

I agree with Karen.  Being sick makes one very fatigued and wipes out your stamina.  Your body is so busy using energy to heal that there doesn't seem to be much left over.  You must make time for small rests throughout the day and eat many smaller meals so the body has a constant supply of energy.  And as always, drink lots of water.  Lupus will keep you on your toes as far as how you feel.  Listen closely to your body and rest when it needs it.  

Colleen

LauraTX Rising Star

I also have lupus and celiac.  The tiredness and it being really easy to overdo it is a classic symptom of lupus.  Any time I need to get a lot of stuff done, I have to be extremely careful to not overdo myself.  I have been attempting to get into better physical shape and lose some weight, but I have to be very very careful about not overdoing physical activity.  Basically, I can't do a hard workout, and whatever light activity I do, as soon as I start feeling a little bit of burn, I have to stop.  If I don't, I am in bed ill for days.

The fight against lupus is all about increasing your good days and decreasing your bad days, but there will definitely be bad days.  Make sure you tell your rheumatologist about any seemingly minor changes in symptoms.  Also, the lupus meds take a long time to work, so you just gotta hang in there.  But the best thing you can do for yourself is know your limits, not just immediate limits, but how much you can do one day without being ill the next.  Remember that lupus is a disease that runs itself with inflammation, so it takes a bit for any lupus body freakouts (as I like to call them) to set in, and takes longer for them to fizzle out.

And of course, taking care of all your autoimmune problems at once helps a lot.  So controlling the celiac will help the lupus, and vice versa.

Celiacandme Apprentice

Thank you all. I appreciate your responses. :)

GFinDC Veteran

I've just recently hit the 7 month mark of being gluten free. (Diagnosed in Nov)

I am curious from a celiac disease standpoint - does anyone else here get completely beat when you've overdone it? Or did you while your body was still adjusting or in recovering phase? I've done a lot more yesterday and today than I normally do in a day or have been able to do. (I've pushed myself bc of hosting my son's birthday party tomorrow)

I'm just at a point where I feel beat, not sure how I can finish everything else, my stomach feels bloated/upset, I'm slightly nauseous, a little dizzy, and my skin seems sensitive. I'm curious if other celiac's go through this? If this matters, I have not yet reached a point since being diagnosed with celiac's where I feel good. Just some days, or time of the day, are better than others.

(This may have more to do with the fact that the rheum diagnosed me with lupus in the end of March. That's why I'm curious to hear whether or not anyone else experiences this because of having celiac disease.)

Hi,

A bloated stomach is certainly a symptom of celiac disease.  Getting glutened can make some people very tired.  Are you sure you didn't eat something with gluten in it?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

chocominties Rookie

Lupus could certainly do that to you, and I guess if you're also celiac it's hard to know if your lupus affected your GI tract or if it it was just the celiac.  Inflammation in your guts, regardless of the source, can make it hard to absorb the proper nutrients from your food, and that can also make you tired.  I personally have a terrible time getting enough iron, and low iron/ferritin will mess you up just as well as anything. 

Then there's also the consideration of what you're eating.  Are you eating different things than you were eating before?  More of X and Y in place of the wheat/gluten?  If you're eating something difficult to digest (while your body is still healing), or if you're eating something your body's not used to, that could be upsetting your digestive system.  A lot of mainstream gluten free foods (think Glutino) are very nutritionally deficient, so you may want to check your boxes and labels and make sure you're only eating foods that have some vitamins or minerals in them. 

I have ulcerative colitis, so I know how hard it is to decide, "Is it this or this or this that's making me feel crappy?"  Recovering from inflammation can take forever, and depending on which types of medications you're on, the effect of those can also take forever.  Budget your energy for a while, but make sure you're practicing good habits (eating properly, sleeping, meds, etc.).  Then if you feel a little better, push yourself.  And it might also help to make a diary of what you ate and how you felt.  I keep a lot of supplements I take, food I ate, and generally how I felt that day and how much extra exercise I did.  If I feel unusually fatigued, I make a note of it.  You may start to see patterns (or not), and I find it helpful just to have a record. 

Archived