radley

Strange Test Results? I Can Tolerate Rye But Not Gluten?

Rate this topic

I had two negative Gluten tests. My thorough food allergy test says I react to gluten, wheat, eggs, corn, oats (light), beans (slight) but NOT to soy, peanuts, seafood and rye (?!). Any similar strange results? How could I tolerate rye yet react to gluten? I tried the gluten challenge and my symptoms are back but I'm afraid of going gluten-free again as I had allergic shocks (MCAS or Leaky Gut?). It doesn't help that most doctors here in Eastern Europe don't know that MCAS exists. Most of them haven't heard of Celiac either. Should I ask for an allergy pen or pack with Allegra?

Edited by radley

Celiac disease is not an allergy. It is an autoimmune attack which is triggered by ingesting gluten (found in wheat, barley, rye and some other grains).  Wheat  allergies are very different than celiac disease, and have the possibility of posing a more immediate health risk if ingested. If you have a wheat allergy, you can still eat gluten as long as it is not found in wheat (which will make you sick).

If you have a strong allergic reaction to wheat, I would consider getting an epi pen. My son has a tree nut allergy and while he has never ended up in a hospital, we have an epi pen just in case his next reaction is severe enough to warrant the use of one... A better safe than sorry scenario.

I don't understand why going gluten-free (removing wheat, rye barley, etc) would cause an allergic problem except if you substituted a food in that you are allergic too.  Removing something should not cause an allergy.

Hopefully someone with more experience with allergies and MCAS can help you out with this.  Best wishes.  :)

I really hope it's not MCAS but Leaky Gut. Can Leaky Gut cause MCAS-like symptoms like Anaphylaxis (IgE reaction)? I guess if the gut is leaky one can react to many foods once the main culprit (Gluten) is excluded from the diet, no?

What kind of food allergy test was it?  In any case if you have a problem with gluten, I would avoid rye as it has gluten regardless of my test results.  You may have tested had a false negative to rye because you don't eat it regularly if the tests were looking for antibodies to various foods.

I had a food antibody test and found 11 of 60 foods that were good for me.  I do find things to eat.  I eat things that weren't tested.  I eat foods that are new to me, I eat the foods that tested no antibodies.  My problems stemmed from leaky gut.  If you have any more questions about how to make something like this happen in your kitchen feel free to ask me.

Dee