Rate this topic

So, I was recently blood tested (partial panel) for celiac's. They came back negative. My doc is giving me a referral to a GI doc of, actually my moms choosing. I am realizing a lot of my pain is in fact from gluten containing and dairy containing products. Just a few days off gluten and a week off dairy and the abdominal pain(most of the time pretty severe) has virtually left. I still get quite a bit of distention in my upper abdomen but not painfully so. I realize after reading more of the board that it probably wasn't a good idea to go gluten free before the GI doc but the pain was just too much. Should I suffer through the pain and eat gluten until the appointment with GI doc at the end of August?

While it will be a pain, you do still need to eat gluten. Stopping gluten will affect any test reults. For someone who has already been off gluten, doctors will require what is called a "gluten challenge" prior to testing. For this challenge, most doctors will instruct the patient to eat the equivalent of 2-3 slices of bread a day for 8-12 weeks. With that being said, and you not being off gluten too long already, you should be fine with following the same instructions as a gluten challenge...the equivalent of 2-3 slices of bread a day. This can be a sandwich, some gluteny cereal, a bowl of pasta, etc. The rest of what you eat can be gluten free, but make sure you hit that 2-3 slices mark every day. Use this as a chance to enjoy the gluteny foods you love, but will not be able to eat after a diagnosis. :-)

If your appointment is at the end of August, and you can schedule a biopsy very soon after it, don't discontinue eating gluten so you can be tested properly.  Think of it as your possible last hoorah with those donuts.  As georgiaguy said, If you are pretty sure you feel better off gluten and will be going gluten-free either way, his suggestion of popping in a few slices of bread per day and otherwise working on gluten-free cooking is a good one.

Well I'm pretty sure gluten is the culprit. Ate 3 slices of glutenized bread and within 10-20 the abdominal pain started while the rest of the day without gluten I was fine. So I have decided to do 3 pieces of toast with breakfast. My hope is that by nightfall the abdominal pain will be gone so I can sleep. Hopefully the pain isn't so bad as to interfere with day to day. If so, well I will suffer silently until the appointment. What a pain in my arse.

Eat the gluten if you can, but cut back. You only need the equivalent of 1-2 slices of bread per day, and that includes noodles, cereals, buns, cookies, soups, etc. BUT if you feel horrible, seriously horrible, call the doctor and cut gluten for a few days.  Not eveyone can make it through the gluten challenge, but those people do not get accurately tested either.

Good luck!