Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mbr22m

Celiac Disease & Shiga Toxin E Coli

Has anyone out there with celiac disease had shiga toxin e coli? I was so sick for almost a year. Doctors kept telling me IBS, as I knew it wasn't cross contamination. I finally went to natural medicine doctor who ran stool test and found out I'm positive for shiga toxin. The health dept had to be notified and everything. My question is, how do you recover? I feel like my immune system is too weak to fight it off. My doctor prescribed cipro, which after researching, it sounds like it makes it worse. My naturopath has me on IgG and super strain probiotic. I feel slightly better, but not much. Can anyone help?! I'm at wits end..

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

If you have a verifiable bacteria that needs to be killed, please for your and public health interests, take the antibiotic.  It takes strong stuff to kill nasty germs like that, but you don't want that hanging around any longer than it has to.

I just found out, went to primary care doc today and was given cipro, which I just filled and will start taking. I'm just wondering if anyone out there has had similar situation.

Illnesses caused by Shiga toxin are acute not chronic, it wouldn't explain the year long not feeling well. This would be something you have picked up recently.  Treatment for most is just secondary: hydration and anti-diarrheal meds. Watch out for bloody diarrhea or urine as that could be a symptoms of HUS ( hemolytic uremic syndrome).  If you still aren't feeling up to par in a few weeks you might want to look for a source of cc because like I said, the shiga toxin is an acute process.

• Celiac.com Sponsor:

• Forum Discussions

Hello everyone. I'm 46 and have suffered from a myriad of symptoms for the past 25 years (diarrhea/constipation, rashes, reflux, fatigue, mouth ulcers, allergy symptoms, eye inflammation, brain fog, pressure headaches, hearing loss, more recently...
    Looks like you have an immune response to gluten.  The endoscopy is to prove that immune response is actually causing damage to the small intestine.  If it is, then you have celiac disease. If the endoscopy doesn't show damage. you co...
    I have been through a year of severe joint pain, headaches and brainfog.  I have been through numerous tests and asked my primary care to check for celiac on a whim.  I have gotten the following labs back and was wondering if anyone can t...