Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Healthsohard

Should I Be Tested?

My results:

CELIAC DISEASE PANEL

About This Test

Component Results

Component Your Value Standard Range Units

Endomysial Ab, IgA, Qual Negative Negative

Tissue Transglutaminase IgA <2 0 - 3 U/mL

Negative 0 - 3

Weak Positive 4 - 10

Positive >10

Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) has been identified

as the endomysial antigen. Studies have demonstr-

ated that endomysial IgA antibodies have over 99%

specificity for gluten sensitive enteropathy.

ESR 2 0 - 20 mm/h

Component Results

ANA Screen, Qual NEG NEG

I have no idea if this was the appropriate panel to use. What do you think?

I'm still seeing the gi dr.

These are the appropriate tests.

Total Serum IgA

tTG-IgA

tTG-IgG

EMA-IgA

DGP-IgA

DGP-IgG

I can't tell from what you posted what your values were for the tTg IgA and is it saying that tTG IgG has been identified?   Are the - negatives or just a separator.  

Neg ANA means no active inflammation going on most of the time.

Colleen

The results make zero sense to me. I can't tell what exactly my dr ran for blood. Sorry it all looks jumbled. I wasn't able to post the pic of the results so I had to copy and paste.

My GI dr is on Friday so I'll have him run the exact test needed.

The TT IgA is the "baseline" test most often run.  If you are positive on that, you have Celiac...however, if your total IgA is low, like my daughter's is, that test is meaningless, so they need to run that.  The next text is the TT IgG, which, if your IgG levels are normal, the test should be accurate, but like the IgA, if your levels are not normal, like my DD's, that test is meaningless too. So, they need to run the total IgG, including subclasses, for accurate readings.  Now, the subclasses can tell you a lot on their own.  If your overall levels are normal but your IgG subclass 3 is low, you can have similar symptoms as Celiac with the the bowel issues, etc.  The other subclasses, 1, 2 and 4 correspond with other parts of your body.

Hopefully your GI will have more information and maybe see the full testing they did??

Healthsohard: I'm sorry you are struggling to find answers. It seems that we all have to go through many hoops before we can find some. I am very thankful to have finally found a physician (functional medicine) who listened to me, didn't think I was crazy and knew what to look for. She diagnosed me with celiac, leaky gut and subclinical hypothyroid (this means my thyroid ranges are within the normal range, but some other markers indicated to her that it was still hypo, so that's why it's called "Subclinical.") 

I just found a brand new book by an actress named Jennifer Esposito, who went years and years before finding a doc who was able to diagnose her with celiac. If nothing else, it's good to read what she went through and had to ask for to get the help she needed. She also has a website: http://jennifersway.org/. 

Don't give up! 

I'm sorry that answers don't seem to be coming. I would double check with the doctor and make sure that all the blood tests were ran, not just the Ttg. If they were and they were all negative, then you could have the biopsy. If you've exhausted all testing options, you could try the diet 100% for about 6 months. If you experienced substantial health improvement then you would have your answer.

Best wishes.

Saw the GI today. I showed him my test results from the celiac panel and even though they're negative he still wants to do an endoscopy. Plus, I'm having bloodwork drawn for IBD and getting a colonoscopy.

At least they're doing both colonoscopy and endoscopy the same day.

Hopefully will get some sort of info and news to explain everything.

Thanks for the support!