This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Finally Saw The Gi!

Mommabearof3

Mommabearof3 Rookie

Finally saw the GI, who wasn't an MD but PA, but whatever at this point.  We just got home, it's 10 pm, and it was a long day at the hospital for all of us.  

She was pretty good, listened to everything I had to say and she didn't really give any opinions, just said lets run everything and see what comes up.  She did specifically mention celiac or bacterial concerns because I had such an extensive surgery last year that involved my intestines being fused to my uterus and I had some heavy duty antibiotics at the time.  So, I have orders to have a lot of blood taken including the celiac panel, stool samples for different bacterial infections and parasites and I have a colonoscopy and endoscope scheduled for Sept 8th in their outpatient center.  That was the earliest they could get me in, plus they have to get the pre-approval from my insurance.  She also gave me a anti-spasm med to try to get the cramping/constant feeling like I have to go to stop. I'll pick that up tomorrow since the pharmacy was closed already when we got back to my town.  She wasn't too concerned about the bleeding, since it was bright red and I had such a violent diarhea attack, she thinks it was more of a case of either busting a internal hemorrhoid or giving myself a small tear down there.  

My follow up is scheduled for November 14th, the whole department is pretty much booked solid.  But I have access to my online tests results, etc., so I should have some answers in a few weeks once everything is done.  I'm of course especially interested in the blood work.  Either way, once the endo is done, I'm going gluten free that day.  

I'm hoping to get the bloods drawn tomorrow, there is a lab associated with the hospital not too far from me.  I couldn't get them done today because we had my daughter's MRI scheduled right after my appointment and we were there until almost 6pm getting that done.  We should have her MRI results tomorrow.

All in all it was a good appointment.  Maybe I'll finally get some answers.  I'm exhausted from the travel, and of course not looking forward to a colonoscopy prep, but if I can finally end this stomach pain it will be well worth it.

Liz

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Good. Get that going. Now... You are still eating gluten, right? I'm sorry I can't remember....some days I can't remember my own stuff. Lol

GottaSki Mentor

Finally saw the GI, who wasn't an MD but PA, but whatever at this point.  We just got home, it's 10 pm, and it was a long day at the hospital for all of us.  

She was pretty good, listened to everything I had to say and she didn't really give any opinions, just said lets run everything and see what comes up.  She did specifically mention celiac or bacterial concerns because I had such an extensive surgery last year that involved my intestines being fused to my uterus and I had some heavy duty antibiotics at the time.  So, I have orders to have a lot of blood taken including the celiac panel, stool samples for different bacterial infections and parasites and I have a colonoscopy and endoscope scheduled for Sept 8th in their outpatient center.  That was the earliest they could get me in, plus they have to get the pre-approval from my insurance.  She also gave me a anti-spasm med to try to get the cramping/constant feeling like I have to go to stop. I'll pick that up tomorrow since the pharmacy was closed already when we got back to my town.  She wasn't too concerned about the bleeding, since it was bright red and I had such a violent diarhea attack, she thinks it was more of a case of either busting a internal hemorrhoid or giving myself a small tear down there.  

My follow up is scheduled for November 14th, the whole department is pretty much booked solid.  But I have access to my online tests results, etc., so I should have some answers in a few weeks once everything is done.  I'm of course especially interested in the blood work.  Either way, once the endo is done, I'm going gluten free that day.  

I'm hoping to get the bloods drawn tomorrow, there is a lab associated with the hospital not too far from me.  I couldn't get them done today because we had my daughter's MRI scheduled right after my appointment and we were there until almost 6pm getting that done.  We should have her MRI results tomorrow.

All in all it was a good appointment.  Maybe I'll finally get some answers.  I'm exhausted from the travel, and of course not looking forward to a colonoscopy prep, but if I can finally end this stomach pain it will be well worth it.

Liz

Frustrating, I know. Really glad things are moving forward for you....post your lab results if you are unsure of them. If you post in this thread, I will see them and try to help or post in a separate thread and I'm sure many others will help.

Until your endoscopy on the 8th make sure to ingest at least a slice of glutenous bread per day...some have found it helpful to do this in the evening....depends on symptoms.

Hang in there :)

Mommabearof3 Rookie

Good. Get that going. Now... You are still eating gluten, right? I'm sorry I can't remember....some days I can't remember my own stuff. Lol

Yes, still having gluten.  The only diet changes I have tried in the past few months was an extremely low fat diet when my GP thought it was my gallbladder giving me trouble.  My symptoms didn't improve and my gallbladder scan came back fine, so I went back to regular fat amounts after only a week of eating that way.  I still had gluten containing foods even during that though.  I eat some type of bread/gluten containing food every day - a bagel or toast or a sandwich on a roll, Italian bread with pasta, etc.

Liz

Mommabearof3 Rookie

Frustrating, I know. Really glad things are moving forward for you....post your lab results if you are unsure of them. If you post in this thread, I will see them and try to help or post in a separate thread and I'm sure many others will help.

Until your endoscopy on the 8th make sure to ingest at least a slice of glutenous bread per day...some have found it helpful to do this in the evening....depends on symptoms.

Hang in there :)

I will definitely post them when I get them, especially if I don't understand them!  I'm finding that it doesn't seem to matter when I eat anymore.  I wake up everyday at this point with pain and running to the bathroom and I go to bed in pain almost every night.  The wait is frustrating, but I've made it this long, what's a couple of more weeks right?

Liz

nvsmom Community Regular

Good luck with those tests!  I hope they give you some very clear answers! :)

GottaSki Mentor

Right!

Unfortunately, it is important to keep the gluten flowing.

I remember telling my celiac doc I would have no problem removing gluten as soon as he finished testing....apparently he watched many people he diagnosed return to eating gluten.

My whole family as ready and willing to find health from our food.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived