Renaye

Pancreatitis And Gallbladder Removed

Rate this topic

Went to ER with elevated lipase level.  They removed my gallbladder although no stones but had sludge.  Was doing well at home for a week but now have burning and mild pain where gallbladder was at times.  Very concerned about pancreatitis relapse.  Can this be related to celiac?  How long do I live off of a low fat diet? Anyone have any suggestions so I can eat? No, I don't drink alcohol.

Sorry to hear that you are not feeling well!

My non-functioning gallbladder was removed seven years before my celiac disease diagnosis. Mine was infected and I had surgery during a business trip! I do recall feeling better after a week. But I also recall a doctor telling me that I could go back to work in two days! I stayed at home reclining on the sofa for a week and then went back to work part time for two more weeks. I recall it hurting while sitting up. I could have worked if I had had a sofa or cot in my office! My daughter asked why I layed on the sofa so much!

I would check with a doctor. My Aunt later had issues with pancreatitis after her surgery.

Eating? I had no trouble eating after the first day, but avoided fatty foods for a short time. I suggest soup and other comfort foods that are easy to digest.

I would definitely check with the doctor if you suspect pancreatitis, that can get pretty serious.  After I had my gallbladder out this spring, it took me weeks to be able to move around well, and about two months to feel near normal.  My gallbladder was very sickly and the surgeon told me he had to basically scrape it off my liver because it wouldn't come out, and I still have random pains come from that area, although they are lessening as time goes on.  It really was a horrible terrible experience for me and I was not mentally prepared to feel that bad.

For the low fat diet, they told me to stay on it until I really feel better, and then start slowly reintroducing foods.  I found that if I ate a high fat meal with nothing else  (like pizza), it would cause me to have "D".  Someone told me that if I want to eat something like that, eat some roughage or something with no fat first to trick my body if it were.  And doing that works.  So always salad before my pizza, etc.  but overall I don't eat many very fatty meals.  I also take digestive enzymes with my main meal of the day, and anything fatty/rich, and that seems to help with the discomfort and stuff going right through.  It has been 5 months since my surgery, so I haven't tried going off that routine yet, but I was also told by the doctor that many of those symptoms can take a year to go away.

I had my gallbladder out in February, 2 weeks after my celiac diagnosis. I have issues with both high fat and high sugar foods...Both result in D. I don't know if it's because of the lack of gallbladder or the celiac...but there are others who have issues with fat after gallbladder removal so I'm going with that. It's kind of a bummer because I do feel limited in what I can eat and many people have no issues without a gallbladder.