This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Curious About Dgp Iga Role In Our Bodies

CanadianK

CanadianK Apprentice

I've been thinking about all these tests and what they represent, etc. as I've been waiting for my results. I was just under the cut off for the DGP IgA test .8 where .9 is a weak positive (however I had been gluten lite for years). I've now done my gluten challenge, biopsies and needle pokes (with papers in hand from this group about all the blood tests and biopsy amts, etc. I was armed!). It feels like the end is near and I will have a full picture of "me". 

But I've been wondering. What causes your DGP IgA to go up and down? Would it be accurate to say that someone who isn't celiac would have a Zero for DGP IgA? Is it something that is just automatically formed in our bodies and sits dormant but builds over time *if* you're celiac? 

If it's an immune response to gluten, and a person has a low number of DGP IgA but "normal" doesn't that mean their body is making *some* antibodies and should avoid gluten (since I've read over and over again how specific this test is for gluten/celiac). 

I would love to hear some perspectives on this just for my own edification. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nvsmom Community Regular

I've always thought that it seemed odd that normal was not a zero, or close to it, as well.  I tend to suspect that celiac disease could be a problem if the DGP test is close to the cut-off.  That cut-off seems too black and white to me.

I had issues with thyroid tests that hovered at the top of the normal range or just out of it for about 15 years.  Doctors insisted I was fine until one day a test finally went high enough that it could no longer be ignored and lo and behold, I suddenly had a thyroid problem. My test had finally crossed that invisible line drawn in the sand...

It is entirely possible that your DGP was tested on a low day when it dipped into normal (especially if gluten lite).  It is also possible that is shifted high for just that day.  

Plus these tests aren't perfect. The DGP misses 4-18% of all celiacs, and the other tests tend to be less sensitive as seen on page 12 here: Open Original Shared Link  

I'm afraid I'm not of much help - just my own personal opinion.  Hopefully someone else who has researched that test can point you to some good information on it.  Best wishes on those tests!  :)

CanadianK Apprentice

Thanks for your reply @nvsmom.

All of this is so fascinating for me and I feel like I can't get clear information. My Dr is hesitate to call anything, anything! In fact, she felt perfectly fine to put my 4 year old on reflux meds indefinitely rather than "disrupt the family with diet changes" Um, WHAT?! I politely declined and so now I'm taking it all into my own hands. Over the past 2 years I've been listening and learning about my body's responses to food, and figuring out what the heck is wrong with me, but now to throw my daughter into the mix feels even more urgent - I need to figure all of this out. 

I just wish there was consensus within the medical community about all of this. Or at least some transparency… 

Anways, out loud thinking :)

Anyone else have input about DGP IgA's role within our bodies?

nvsmom Community Regular

Anyone else have input about DGP IgA's role within our bodies?

other causes (besides celiac disease) of a positive DGP IgA or DGP IgG seems to come up every few months around here.  If you search the forum (using the green "Search Forum Via Google" box in the upper left corner of the screen) for DGP IgA causes, you'll find a bunch of other posts by people who went through a very similar thing as you.  If more people don't chime in, you may want to see what's been said in the last year or two about it.  :)

Best wishes.

CanadianK Apprentice

Thx nvsmom. I had done that but really couldn't find what I was looking for. I'll keep sleuthing :)

Archived