Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SanFranGirl

A Week To Feel Glutened?

I was diagnosed with celiac in June after feeling sick for 2 years with chronic constipation, fevers, bloating, and rashes, and fatigue (and unexplainable hypothyroidism which I am treating and was diagnosed earlier). I was only diagnosed with blood tests (positive for the anitibodies and one of the genes), never had a intestinal biopsy...

Since I combed all the gluten out of my diet I've slowly felt better and better since june, almost feeling like my old self again... So a week ago, I accidentally ate what was definately a significant amount of gluten - pie crust made from wheat (I thought it was gluten free). And I barely reacted. I felt anxious, and had soft stool but it could have been just because I was freaking out (haha). No rash or fever...and now a week later I feel for the first time in months what I associate with gluten. I feel fatigued and anxious and have a fever and very very bloated. still no vomiting ever or stomach aches. And also its really not THAT bad, like half of the severity of what I would experience every other week before going gluten free.

So I'm wondering if anyone is similar to me? or if its possible that I dont have celiac's? which just seems ridiculous because of the blood tests and then slowly feeling better on a gluten free diet (though it took a few months before I started feeling better). But if I do have celiac's why didn't I react right away to the gluten? Is it because I have only been gluten free for 6 months?

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Everyone is different. I just had anemia when I was diagnosed. I was a little anxious and crazy, but I was going through menopause at the same time! My antibodies were barely positive yet my endoscopy/biopsy revealed moderate to severe damage.

Your body may take take time to ramp up and produce antibodies. I never had a follow up blood test because my results were so low. It would probably take months for my ferritin levels to drop enough to impact my hemoglobin levels making me anemic again. I also have not been back for a blood test because I know I haven been adhering to my diet since my husband has been gluten free for 13 years! No learning curve for me!

Stay the course and count your blessings that your reaction was not great!

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

My symptoms can be delayed and are worse with repeated glutenings.  I don't feel great if I have gluten but if I accidentally have it again and again, which I did with some fries over a year ago, my symptoms slowly become worse - they creep up on me until they can't be ignored.

You do have celiac disease but you either got lucky with your symptoms this time around, or you are like me and you feel worse with repeated exposures.

Hope you feel better.

Nicole 

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993

Celiac - June, 2012

Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Join eNewsletter

A week seems like a long time for a delay but maybe.  It could be a virus or something too.  I know we automatically go to gluten when we don't feel well but we still get sick from germs.  Fevers are not a common symptom which makes me wonder if you are just coming down with something.  Flu season is here, and they are saying it's going to be a bad one because there is a new strain out there that was not in the vaccine.

Join eNewsletter

I get fevers with glutenings. It was one of my symptoms I complained about for a year, unexplained repeated low grade fevers.

Like the others said, maybe that is how you will react. Sorry dear, but the labs weren't wrong, you have celiac. Hope you get to feeling better soon.

Diagnosed April 7th 2014

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter