Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pokey Oaks

Stopping Gluten Before Endoscopy

I have less than a week to go before my endoscopy, and I feel so unimaginably awful.

Would stopping the gluten slightly early change the outcome? I don't think I can do it anymore, yesterday I was in so much pain. Today I feel so sick, including neurological symptoms. It's not fair on me, or my family. I'm a mess.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I know people will disagree but it's not like your intestines are going to heal in a week.  If they did, we could all eat gluten from time to time with no ill effects.  I'd call and see if you can get your scope moved up too.

And do you need the scope--obviously you can't eat gluten so whether you have Celiac or not, it doesn't really matter what your scope says.

Join eNewsletter

It's complicated, but put simply: like others have mentioned in other threads, if I don't have a definitive diagnosis, I won't be taken seriously.

So tell people you do have a diagnosis.  If they don't care enough about you to believe that your are going through what you are going through, to heck with them and just tell them you have Celiac.  

Join eNewsletter

Get a diagnosis, if you can. If you can't, don't worry about it.

It's perfectly possible to follow a strict gluten free diet without a diagnosis. Just take your own food everywhere and never cheat on the diet. People will eventually believe you. I'm going on 5 years of being gluten free without a diagnosis. Most friends and family understand why I won't touch the stuff. I just explain that I can't afford to be sick or hospitalized. *shrugs*

~Ruth

Gluten free since 2/14/2010 after suffering a rare and serious complication from my gluten challenge

Join eNewsletter

Call your doctor's office and ask to speak to a nurse. Tell the nurse what is going on. It will get relayed to the doctor and some doctors will have you stop the challenge or if they have a cancellation they may be able to get you in sooner. If you had positive blood tests the doctor may even diagnose you based on your blood work and reaction to the challenge. 

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter