Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sherex

How Long After Gluten Free Living Did Ladies Get Pregnant

Hi

I have gene tested positive for a coeliacs gene and finally worked out not to eat gluten. I have been gluten free for 3 months now and my health has been WAY better almost 100% from bottom of stomach down,(except this morning when I accidentally ate a spread derived from wheat and barley and 2 mins later.... (Well we all know what happens) still bloated sore and feel a bit sick. First accident in 3 months though - not bad! I'm 37 now, I have a BMI of 19 or 20 I don't smoke drink have caffeine or illegal drugs, haven't for over 6 years. I have been trying to get pregnant since I was 31 unsuccessfully, I had 1 early miscarriage after trying for 3 months. Started fertility treatments after 1 year, done 2 rounds of IUI and now on 4th unsuccessful embryo tranfer through IVF. I can't help but feel it's because I was poisoning my body with Gluten all these years and I wonder if anyone else has had similar experience and was then able to conceive and give birth after starting a gluten free diet? I wonder whether we should give it some time for my body to heal before trying again with IVF to give it the best chance when my body is in a better repaired state? Can anyone relate and share their advice or experience?

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I'm sorry you've had such a hard time.  Hopefully once you are well, things will change for you.

When a celiac goes gluten-free, the body does not usually stop making autoantibodies right away.  It can take many months, or even years, for the tests to start coming back normal.  When those tests are abnormal it means that your body is still under attack, never mind healing yet, and levels of inflammation are still high.

Once the autoimmune attack stops, recovery can take many more months or even a few years.  Issues like nutritional deficiencies (D, B12 folate, A, Zn, Mg, Cu, K, Fe, ferritin are common) can take a long time to improve.  If celiac disease was a contributing factor, it could take some time longer before your body will be ready for pregnancy... Then again, you may be one of the faster ones.  :)

Best wishes!

Nicole 

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993

Celiac - June, 2012

Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Join eNewsletter

I am 38 and we have been TTC now for about 4 months.  I have been gluten-free for 15 months with a few accidents here and there.  Mostly, as nvsmom says, I am just trying to make sure my vitamin levels are better. They were all kinds of bad when this all went down. I still have trouble with my vitamin D. I have actually decided, in addition to the help I get from my doctor, to try out some products from Bariatric Advantage.  They make easily soluble vitamins and iron for people that have absorption issues. I just ordered the ADEK, and the calcium.  I also take a big dose of folic acid and have for many months now. My doctor is trying something new with 50, 000 UI of Vit D2 once a week.  that is a LOT haha  but I was taking 5,000 UI of D3 and still it was low so... we are trying new avenues.  Anyway, I am in a similar boat. Luckily, my cycles are nice and regular and there are no other fertility issues.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter