Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

marierush

New, And Wondering...

I have just noticed that my distended belly and gas and erratic bowel habits may be a gluten issue.  I have an appointment (again) with GP this week, and I started myself on a gluten-free diet yesterday, just to see if I had any relief from the bloating...I had a colonoscopy done two years ago, and at that time they saw no need for any further testing.  Any recommendations for me right now, until I can get in to see my doctor?  Thanks in advance!

M

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Yes, keep eating gluten if you seriously think you could have celiac disease. You will get a negative result if you are not consuming gluten. Any MD can order the necessary tests and these include:

tTG IgA and tTG IgG

-DGP IgA and DGP IgG

-EMA IgA

-total serum IgA and IgG (control test)

-AGA IGA and AGA IgG - older and less reliable tests largely replace by the DGP tests

-endoscopic biopsy - make sure at least 6 samples are taken (that's for the small intestine where celiac disease strikes. A colonoscopy just checks the large intestine.

Check out the University of Chicago's celiac website for more testing information and a list of celiac disease symptoms.

Welcome to the forum and let us know how it goes!

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Ditto Cyclinglady, you'll need to keep eating gluten until your testing is complete.  Hopefully your GP will order the tests.  Try to get as many of the previously listed tests as possible because there is not a perfect celiac disease test yet, and these tests can miss a large minority of celiacs.

This report has more info on the tests (pages 8-12): http://www.worldgastroenterology.org/assets/export/userfiles/2012_Celiac%20Disease_long_FINAL.pdf You can see the sensitivities (what percentage of celiacs it catches) are not perfect.

Good luck, and welcome to the board.  :)

Nicole 

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993

Celiac - June, 2012

Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter