Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brit1612

Unfamiliar Test- Help Interpreting Them

I just called to ask about my son's bloodwork from last Monday.  I was so anxious to see if any of his celiac levels would come back abnormal this time.....they did not.  They were negative (even the ttg igg that was once positive).  

The nurse basically said that the Dr would go over everything when I came in for our 3 month check up and that everything was "normal, or she would have called".  I had to bug her a little just to get her to share some of the results with me.  Once I got off the phone I realized that there were a couple I forgot to ask about!

But there were two test that I am really not familiar with, and I don't know the reference ranges....

prealbumin - 12.6 (I know this has to do with malnourishment, but I don't know what "normal" should be for a 2 year old.  The data that I have found shows different ranges, some of which put him "low")

Diphtheria/Tetanus Ab - .09 (I believe this test shows if his vaccines have worked properly?  The nurse didn't tell me the range for this, but said it was fine.  Of course, I googled it and everything I can find shows normal being >.15.  Which would make him low on this as well......)

total IGE - 29.2 (anyone know what normal should be?)

The immunologist ordered these test to "get a better picture of how his immune system was working and just how well he was doing in general".  Anyone have any insight on these test, or how they may or may not be related to celiac disease???  His IGA was also low again, but slightly higher than last check.

Thanks again!  Sorry for the many questions!  I hate that they expect you to wait 3 months before getting the results or having a chance to ask questions!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Thanks y'all.  Sorry for so many questions, I just worry that we are somehow missing something.  They finally did get back to me about the results, but the nurse really didn't know anything either.  His tetanus result was in range according to their standards.  But his prealbumin was low (12.8 with a range of 18-45), not sure how significant that is.  

They also told me that his BUN level on his metabolic panel was high 47 (range 6- 25).  She only said, "if he was sick, it could have affected the results or he could have been dehydrated", and really seemed to not know anything else about what it meant.  I don't see why he would be dehydrated and he had a bit of a cough, but I'm not sure if you would count that as being sick.....

We go for a sweat test tomorrow.  Although it is really just a formality, I am nervous about it because of the serious nature of CF.  The immunologist was surprised that no one had made him have one before, but does not believe that is the problem.  Wouldn't he be sick often if he had cystic fibrosis???

Join eNewsletter

HUGS

Good luck with that test.  It's nerve wracking to check for things like that even when you are pretty sure it won't be positive... Hang in there.

Nicole 

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993

Celiac - June, 2012

Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter