Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CeliacMommaX2

Buying Store Brands

I have always shopped for store brands for the most part (usually Meijer and some Target) and saw on Meijer's website that they have a list of gluten free store brand products, but of course a disclamer saying they cannot speak to the possibility of cross-contamination. 

Is it safe to continue to buy store brands or do I need to switch to name brand companies on everything?

I usually buy ketchup, chex, pasta sauce, cheese, applesauce, and juice in the Meijer brand.

Thank you!

Mom to 2 young kids with celiac, diagnosed March 2015

*Gluten free household

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I don't consider name brand products to be of any different risk than store brands.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

Join eNewsletter

Always check labels, I see "may contain traces of wheat" on many store brand items, and have had a couple made me sick.  As a result of getting sick from store brand items, I generally buy name brands now, as it is easier to find out information on the item and if it is safe or not.

Join eNewsletter

Most all companies  will put  this  on their label to protect  their  ASSets!!!!  If  it  states  gluten-free  it  must  be  gluten free  or under 20ppm's  it is  the law....no matter  what  company  it is LAW.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter