Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ringmaster

Does This Lab Result Mean Rule Out Celiac Disease?

I tested positive for wheat alergy and my doctor wanted to go ahead and test me for Celiac Disease as well.  Below are the results of the Celiac blood test.

GLIADIN IGA

<20.0 Units 6.7 GLIADIN IGG <20.0 Units 4.5 TISSUE TRANSGLUTAMINASE IGA <20.0 Units 4.4 tTG IgA results obtained from different assay methods should not be used
interchangeably. The magnitude of the reported IgA levels cannot be correlated
to an endpoint titer. These results were obtained with INOVA Quanta Lite h-tTG
IgA ELISA. IMMUNOGLOBULIN A 63 - 498 mg/dL 160

My allergist posted these results to my online chart with no narrative and is not available.  I will definitely confer with my doctor eventually but does anyone know if the results above rule out Celiac disease.  My symptoms are very severe so I don't think I can stomach a gluten challenge (literally).  Thanks!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Are you saying you were eating gluten free? If that is the case, then negative test results would NOT mean you don't have Celiac disease.  It just means you aren't currently making antibodies to gluten.  You can't make antibodies to something (gluten) that isn't there.  You have to be eating gluten to get a valid Celiac blood test.

edited for clarity (I hope  :unsure: )

Join eNewsletter

How long have you been gluten free? Usually, you need to be consuming gluten daily for 12 weeks in order to get an accurate result.

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Are you saying you were eating gluten free? If that is the case, then negative test results would NOT mean you don't have Celiac disease.  It just means you aren't currently making antibodies to gluten.  You can't make antibodies to something (gluten) that isn't there.  You have to be eating gluten to get a valid Celiac blood test.

edited for clarity (I hope  :unsure: )

I started eating gluten 2-3 weeks prior to the test.  It made me very ill.  I was nauseous, gas galore, abdomenal pain, diarrhea for hours after ever meal, and bad breath, bloating and fatigue.  I had been glutten free for about four months prior to this because my symptoms and discomfort were escalating.  One of the tricky issues is that these symptoms can also be the result of my recently diagnosed wheat allergy (test taken and results given same day as Celiac test).  My doctor's diagnoses at the moment is that the wheat allergy was causing some intestinal malabsorption which explains my chronic anemia.  I've emailed her asking for an interpretation of the Celiac test.  (Was 2-3 weeks of gluten ingesting sufficient?)

Join eNewsletter

How long have you been gluten free? Usually, you need to be consuming gluten daily for 12 weeks in order to get an accurate result.

Wow, that may explains it.  I started eating gluten again 2-3 weeks prior to the test.  I also have a severe wheat allergy, so perhaps I will talk with my Dr. about doing a gluten challenge that does not involve wheat.  There is no way I can eat wheat again it's just too painful!

Join eNewsletter

I started eating gluten 2-3 weeks prior to the test.  It made me very ill.  I was nauseous, gas galore, abdomenal pain, diarrhea for hours after ever meal, and bad breath, bloating and fatigue.  I had been glutten free for about four months prior to this because my symptoms and discomfort were escalating.  One of the tricky issues is that these symptoms can also be the result of my recently diagnosed wheat allergy (test taken and results given same day as Celiac test).  My doctor's diagnoses at the moment is that the wheat allergy was causing some intestinal malabsorption which explains my chronic anemia.  I've emailed her asking for an interpretation of the Celiac test.  (Was 2-3 weeks of gluten ingesting sufficient?)

That's too bad, it probably wasn't enough time. But, if you have a wheat allergy, the treatment is similar - don't eat wheat. You might be able to get away with barley or rye.

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/archives/faq/what-is-a-gluten-challenge

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter