This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ocala, Florida Area

Stormtracker

Stormtracker Newbie

Hello, I am looking for a doctor in the Ocala/Dunnellon/Citrus Springs, Crystal River area that KNOWS about gluten intolerance. I am looking for a doctor that will take time to speak with me about the issues I am having. I know for a fact I am gluten intolerant. I have never been diagnosed, but I do know from an early age bread always made me so sick, cookies and cakes made me ill and I have the WORST pains all over my body when I eat anything with wheat in it. Bad depression, anxiety, low sugar, joint aches, bathroom issues, the whole nine yards.....most doctors want you to eat a gluten filled diet for about six months before they test you I simply CAN'T DO THAT. I'll get extremely sick. I need some other form of tests..........I am on Blue Select and hardly any good doctor actually takes this insurance. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GF Lover Rising Star

Hi and Welcome To The Forum.

Unfortunately, Blood Tests and Endoscopic Biopsies are how they diagnose Celiac.  A gene test and symptoms can corroborate the results.  Both require a gluten challenge.  You can always decide not to have any tests and start a strict Gluten Free diet.

Colleen

Stormtracker Newbie

Hi and Welcome To The Forum.

Unfortunately, Blood Tests and Endoscopic Biopsies are how they diagnose Celiac.  A gene test and symptoms can corroborate the results.  Both require a gluten challenge.  You can always decide not to have any tests and start a strict Gluten Free diet.

Colleen

I just got back from the doctor and I am having a blood test tomorrow the usual bloodwork plus another blood test he said to test for Celiac. He seemed to really want to diagnose me with depression, I told him I don't have that and he tried and tried to get me to admit I was depressed. He didn't mention any gluten challenge and seemed like he wasn't worried about anything I was telling him concerning how I feel after I eat......

squirmingitch Veteran

You have been gluten free so the test will come back negative & he'll say he was right BUT unless you have been doing a gluten challenge than of course the tests will come back negative. So he will feel all superior & vindicated but he's WRONG b/c he doesn't know what he's doing. 

Archived