Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kunkle04

Hand-Dipped Ice Cream Parlor

I am new to the gluten-free diet and lifestyle. Now that it is summer, I miss frequenting our local ice cream shop. I am concerned that an ice cream scoop dipped in a cup of water will not be enough to protect me from cross-contamination. Can anyone correct me on this? I am really hoping that I am wrong. Thanks!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

That and even worse - the little bits of cone that break off into the ice cream. If they are willing and able to scoop you from a fresh container - that would be great. I like to go to the frozen yogurt places with the " ice cream" that comes out of the soft serve.

Join eNewsletter

It's hard but I won't eat ice cream in a scoop 'em out parlor. A scoop in a cup or tray of water is not enough and overhead droppings into open containers of ice cream is way too possible. If everyone stops at a parlor I usually look for a cooler with packaged ice creams that are ok or soft serve.

Join eNewsletter

If I go to an ice cream parlor, I insist on a new tub of ice cream and a new scoop, then I thank them profusely and tip well. We usually just buy a carton of ice cream from the grocer's and bring it home... I cheap out.  ;)

Nicole 

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993

Celiac - June, 2012

Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Join eNewsletter

I don't know that it's cheaping out, I sort of call it picking my battles. lol SOmetimes (often!!) I would rather go without than launch into the whole cross contamination-is this safe-would you please-I am celiac thing.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter