Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

mbledtke

Symptoms Returning - Oats?

Rate this topic

Hello!

I was diagnosed with Celiac about 1.5 years ago.  Within a few weeks of stopping gluten, I had relief of so many issues that I never even realized were Celiac related - aside from the gut issues, the big ones were the foggy headedness, anxiety, and hair loss (mostly in the shower).  Within about 2 weeks I felt like a few person!

My issue is that starting in the month of April, many of these symptoms have come back (hair loss, anxiety, mentally foggy).  Around that time, I had a back injury and was on several medications (pain killers, muscle relaxants, anti inflammatories - all of which were gluten-free), so I blamed my issues on the meds.  I've been off the meds for about 6 weeks now, and the symptoms still remain.  

These symptoms are exactly how I felt before going gluten-free.  I contacted my doc and asked for another celiac blood panel, to see if I was somehow getting "glutened" without realizing it.  My labs came back today and all of my levels are the lowest they have even been - all well within a normal range.  

My question is - I have always suspected that I may be sensitive to oats - even certified gluten-free oats.  Does anyone else have this issue?  In April, I started taking Juice Plus supplements and Vega shakes for breakfast - both of which are gluten-free, but both have Oat Bran as an ingredient, as I recently discovered.  Could this be the source of my issues?  Does anyone else have oat sensitives?   Could the symptoms mimic what gluten does to my body?

Thanks for any insights - I'm desperate to get back to feeling like "me".

Moni

Silver Lake, WI

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I do not have oat issues and can eat certified gluten-free oats without any problems but the oats most likely used in those supplements and shakes are not certified......unless they specifically state that is what they use. I have never seen certified oat bran in anything, just oat bran, and this is why we have to check the oat added foods/supplements carefully. Reactions to oats can mimic a wheat gluten reaction, as does dairy.

Hope you feel better soon and can figure this out!

Join eNewsletter

You could try dropping both those items and see if your symptoms resolve. You could always challenge them again when you are feeling well to see if the same thing happens.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

Yup, cut the oat bran.

:)

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*Multiple AI Diseases

*General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

smiley-face-making-cocktail.gif

Join eNewsletter

I concur.

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Dermatitis Herpetiformis

Reynaud's October 2018

Rheumatoid Arthritis October 2018

Join eNewsletter

Thank you all.  I'm not as much thinking CC from uncertified gluten-free oats - I would think that my blood panel would have showed that after 4 months, right?  Do you think it could just be the oats themselves, not gluten at all?  I remember reading somewhere that in some Celiacs oats can mimic gluten, and the body can respond the same way?

Join eNewsletter

Do you think it could just be the oats themselves, not gluten at all?  

Yes. 

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

It could be a reaction to oats themselves but you would have to try certified gluten-free oats to test that.  Eating a supplement with oat bran in it is most likely not going to be certifed gluten-free or truly gluten-free.

I am not certain whether a small amount of cc would show up in your bloodwork.  Would it be enough to trip it over into a positive?  Not sure but if you routinely are tested where they give you an actual number on the DGP testing, it would be interesting to see if that number climbs towards a positive at all, if you believed you were being cc'd.

Join eNewsletter

It could be a reaction to oats themselves but you would have to try certified gluten-free oats to test that.  Eating a supplement with oat bran in it is most likely not going to be certifed gluten-free or truly gluten-free.

I am not certain whether a small amount of cc would show up in your bloodwork.  Would it be enough to trip it over into a positive?  Not sure but if you routinely are tested where they give you an actual number on the DGP testing, it would be interesting to see if that number climbs towards a positive at all, if you believed you were being cc'd.

I agree with this. 

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Dermatitis Herpetiformis

Reynaud's October 2018

Rheumatoid Arthritis October 2018

Join eNewsletter