Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

KBart

Scope And Biopsy Done Today

Rate this topic

My 4 year old had the scope and biopsy today. I'm so glad that's behind us. I'm terrified of a negative biopsy when I'm so sure she's reaction to gluten and has a positive blood test. It doesn't help that the doctor keeps saying things like, " If it isn't celiac disease we will keep searching for the cause" and "you can start cutting back on gluten if you want to". Anyways, about a week I guess we will know. I appreciate everyone's help so far. I've cleared my kitchen of most all gluten and wiped the pantry. I am thinking of waiting until the biopsy results to purge some tools and utensils such as cutting boards, wood spoons, etc.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

My 4 year old had the scope and biopsy today. I'm so glad that's behind us. I'm terrified of a negative biopsy when I'm so sure she's reaction to gluten and has a positive blood test. It doesn't help that the doctor keeps saying things like, " If it isn't celiac disease we will keep searching for the cause" and "you can start cutting back on gluten if you want to". Anyways, about a week I guess we will know. I appreciate everyone's help so far. I've cleared my kitchen of most all gluten and wiped the pantry. I am thinking of waiting until the biopsy results to purge some tools and utensils such as cutting boards, wood spoons, etc.

If she had a positive blood test, then even if she has a negative biopsy she still most likely has celiac disease.  The biopsy can miss up to 20% of all celiacs.  That's 1 in every 5.  Considering the intestines have the surface area of a tennis court, and that damage is often patchy, it's almost surprising that it doesn't miss more celiacs.

A negative biopsy does not mean she does not have celiac disease.  It just means that the biopsy does not support the diagnosis of celiac disease.  It doesn't discount it.  

It is sort of like if you had a positive pregnancy test but another brand gave you a negative result.  It still means you can probably expect a new arrival in 9 months.  KWIM?

Good luck with the biopsy results.  If you wish you can share the results here.  We have a few board members who are quite knowledgeable when it comes to the biopsy.

Nicole 

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993

Celiac - June, 2012

Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Join eNewsletter

Thank you. Yes I will share here when I get results.

I think what is bothering me more than a negative test is her doctor saying if it's negative it can't be celiac. If we get a negative biopsy I will probably switch doctors and try and find one who would be willing to give us a diagnosis with the blood test and alleviation of symptoms once on the diet.

Join eNewsletter

Thank you. Yes I will share here when I get results.

I think what is bothering me more than a negative test is her doctor saying if it's negative it can't be celiac. If we get a negative biopsy I will probably switch doctors and try and find one who would be willing to give us a diagnosis with the blood test and alleviation of symptoms once on the diet.

If the biopsy is negative I think you would be very smart to switch doctors for one who would be willing to give a diagnosis with the blood test and alleviation of symptoms once on the diet.

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Dermatitis Herpetiformis

Reynaud's October 2018

Rheumatoid Arthritis October 2018

Join eNewsletter