Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Alpinist

Abnormal Results On Gluten Test, Have A Few Questions.

Rate this topic

Hi, I found this forum after doing a bunch of reading.  I'm a 34 year old male, long story short, after finding out I had Hashimotos thyroiditis last year I ended up seeing a Naturopathic Dr. who sent me for the Cyrex gluten test.  These are the results I got back.  I haven't seen the naturopath yet, but my primary care doc seems to think this indicates Celiac and has offered to sent me to a GI for endoscopy.  Does this mean I have Celiac or would it point to a non Celiac gluten sensitivity?  I've read so much the past few days I'm a little confused.  I appreciate any help you can offer.  Thank you. 

Screenshot_2015-07-20-21-33-46-1_zpsucs6

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I am not familiar with these tests and am not sure if they are accurrate or not. It is good that your GP is willing to send you to a GI doctor. Keep eating gluten until all testing is complete.

A biopsy via endoscopy can confirm a celiac diagnosis. There is no test to identify a gluten sensitivity at this time. I would recommend researching the University of Chicago's celiac website for testing information.

I wish you well!

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

I think you should get the Celiac blood tests. There isn't a lot of scientific evidence that these tests by this company are accurate for much.

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/archives/faq/why-dont-you-recognize-tests-stool-tests-or-otherwise-for-gluten-sensitivity-that-are-currently-available-through-companies-like-enterolab-or-cyrex

Join eNewsletter

By the way, the tissue trasnglutaminase-3 is the antibody involved with DH. (celiac in the skin)
(and the ttg-6 is for antibodies in the CNS)
Those cross react sometimes a bit with the ordinary celiac test Ttg-2, sometimes not.

Interesting tests.

By they way, do you have DH? 

The diagnosis is via skin biopsy of healthy skin while you still eat gluten

gluten-free since may 06 after neg. biopsy symptoms went away and DH symptoms which I had since 03 got gradually better.

daughter officially diagnosed celiac and casein intolerant.

non-DQ2 or DQ8. Maybe DQ1? Updated: Yes, double DQ5

Hypothyroid since 2000, thyroxine first started to work well 06 on a low-carb and gluten-free diet

Lost 20 kg after going gluten-free and weighing 53 kg now. neg. biopsy for DH. Found out afterwards from this forum that it should have been taken during an outbreak but it was taken two weeks after. vitaminD was 57 nmol/l in may08)

Join eNewsletter

Thanks for the answers.  I don't have DH-but I do have acne I think is diet related.

I did not know the test I got would not test for Celiac.  I guess I will ask my primary care to give me the standard test for Celiac.  I was eating low-gluten for about 2 weeks before this test and as of 3 days ago I have been gluten free, but I will start eating gluten again starting today until all testing is done.  Do you think I am good to take the blood test or do I need to wait?

Join eNewsletter