Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

ThisIsMyUserName

Elimination Diet Question

Rate this topic

So I'm a few weeks into the elimination diet. Actually going very well; since I cut out everything, I've felt a lot better over time (took about a week) and can clearly identify when a new food causes trouble, and am adding in a new food only very slowly to avoid complications. I have a long list of things I can eat (salmon, steak, chicken, lots of fruits, tomatoes, etc.) and a couple of things I absolutely cannot (coffee (just kill me now); Red onions; Sunbutter). My question is: to what extent am I just recording the issues versus looking for a larger cause? So, for example, I have no issue with Trader Joe's Sunflower butter, but SunButter (a different brand) makes me very unwell. The only different ingredient differences are mixed tocopherols (derived from soy) in the SunButter, and SunButter is on shared equipment with soy. So I am avoiding SunButter, and figure Soy may be a problem, but should I be doing some detective work and looking for trends (is coffee like soy in some way? Is there a difference between red and white onions? Etc.) or should I just give in and accept that this is all just a random set of things my immune system reacts to and call it a day? I have an NCGI diagnosis, but not celiac. Thanks!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

It sounds like soy is a problem for you. It is for many of us. The best way to tell is to try soy in as pure a form as you can find. If you get sick you'll know that's it. (I'm thinking either a good gluten-free soy sauce or miso.) Try to keep the new additions simple one ingredient things so you'll know.

Onions? I don't know. They could just be bothering you because they are tough on the digestive system and you're not healed yet. Maybe try Vadelia or Walla-Walla onions. They are much sweeter. Or just do without onions for a few months. Try them again later.

gluten-free since June, 2011

It took 3 !/2 years but my intolerances to corn, soy, and everything else (except gluten) are gone!

Life is good!

Join eNewsletter

I an no expert in this area, but I think some reactions to foods are just random. Or think about a cup. You can only fill it in so much before it overflows. You might, for example be able to tolerate nuts but when pollen season hits, nuts may cause a strong reaction. Or you might do well with a few crackers containing Xanthan gum, but two slices of gluten-free bread containing xanthan gum, might push you over the edge. It is hard to say.

Keep maintaining your journal and try to avoid processed foods for now.

Take care!

P.S. Not sure about the red onions, but maybe it is like red vs white wine. Many people react to the tannins in red wine left from the red grape skins (that would be me.....)

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Also note if it's cooked things giving you trouble or only the raw versions. For instance I am fine with cooked onions but raw onions give me a tummy ache & flip flopping tummy as well as bloat/gas/belching. HOWEVER, raw scallions are fine but that's the only raw onions I am okay with.

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Dermatitis Herpetiformis

Reynaud's October 2018

Rheumatoid Arthritis October 2018

Join eNewsletter