Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

alexandermont

If I've Just Had A Suspected Gluten Reaction, Will An Antibody Test Work?

Rate this topic

I've been off gluten for years. I suspected it caused me problems, but never had a test in the years I ate it.

My family doctor mentioned a test, but I didn't want to eat gluten for the recommended six weeks, as I don't want to lose the habit of not eating it.

This morning I woke up and had:

• Incredibly low energy
  • A rash on my knees and arms
  • Diarrhea

The rash has subsided with bowel movements. When I considered what I ate yesterday, I remembered there was a moment when I may have had some gluten. (These are rare for me)

If I did indeed have a gluten reaction, would an antibody test show it even though I haven't been eating gluten regularly.

I have a prescription for a test and could go to a test center tomorrow morning if a test might work.

-----------

p.s. This is a cross post from Reddit's Celiac forum. No one answered there, and I want to find the answer to see if I should go for a test tomorrow. As of 6 pm tonight I'm still having diarrhea and low energy, though it's better now than this mornning. The rash is gone.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

1 day of gluten should not be enough. You have to make enough antibodies to get into the blood stream and then meet the number needed for a positive. That's why you were told 6 weeks tho theCeliac act in Chicago recommends 3 months

Join eNewsletter

1 day of gluten should not be enough. You have to make enough antibodies to get into the blood stream and then meet the number needed for a positive. That's why you were told 6 weeks tho theCeliac act in Chicago recommends 3 months

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/?s=Challenge&submit=Search

Join eNewsletter

Oh right, one more question: Are those symptoms consistent with a gluten reaction? Or is this unlikely to be the result of someone eating maybe 2-3 crumbs?

I don't know if I have celiac or not, which makes it harder to tell what might have caused this. It was a pretty strong reaction: fatigue all day, diarrhea about 15 times, rash on my knees and elbows, and the rash went away very quickly after the first 2-3 bowel movements. It diminished each time.

Join eNewsletter

Your symptoms are pretty in line with a Celiac reaction.  Our reactions do vary in severity from person to person.  There are some people who haven't been formally diagnosed with Celiac disease, but like you, have been gluten-free for a long time and after having bad reactions when exposed, have no desire to get formally tested.  That is totally okay if you want to do that.  It really depends on how much a formal diagnosis means to you.  If you have offspring and want to assess their risk, you could just get the gene test, which is the only test that doesn't require gluten consumption to be accurate.  But do note that having the gene does not mean a person will develop Celiac disease, just a chance.  

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Absolutely is a good idea to rule other things out.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter