This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Similarities In Celiac And Ncgs Symptoms?

Maddi

Maddi Community Regular

I'm still waiting for my test results. It's been a week!! And I'm not the most patient person so I'm trying to stop myself from calling the office. Well in the meantime I was wondering how similar are celiac symptoms and ncgs symptoms? I know I have a problem with wheat. I've stopped consuming it and I don't have all day fatigue anymore, my insomnia and hot flashes are gone, also my heart palpitations, and my anxiety. However, I'm still tired after meals (as if my body is working extra hard to digest my food) I just started taking enzymes and it's getting a bit better but I'm still tired. Anyways my biggest concern is my weightloss. If my results come back negative for Celiac...can I assume that I just have NCGS? I thought NCGS doesn't damage the intestines so weight loss wouldn't be a symptom... or am I wrong? I still have symptoms which if it's just NCGS I'd think that they would be gone by now (I've been gluten-free for 2weeks). Or am I wrong about that too? I did have a mocha Frappuccino this weekend... bc I was craving one so badly but idk if that has gluten... or if CC would be a big deal for NCGS? THANKS.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bartfull Rising Star

I'm not familiar with your story (sorry). Did they do the full panel? I think you should still be eating gluten so in case they want to do a biopsy you'll be ready.

I also would go ahead and call the doctor. Sometimes if results are negative they don't call you at all, or they take their time about it. If you call that will also remind them that you're anxious so they're more likely to call right away when the results do come in.

From what I hear the symptoms of NCGS can be WORSE than those of celiac. I'm not saying that is your problem. It might be something else entirely like thyroid. If your results do come back negative talk to your doctor about other possible causes.

Maddi Community Regular

From my understanding the doctor ordered LabCorp's celiac panel. Honestly I had been gluten free for about a week with some issues with CC or eating things I didn't know weren't gluten-free. And a little gluten light for about a month. I've had my thyroid tested and everything is normal. (Thyroid disease runs in my family but I don't know if anyone with Celiac). I'm underweight (93lbs) and I have a lotttttttt of Celiac symptoms. Of course it could just be NCGS but idk if that would cause so much weightloss... /:

Maddi Community Regular

Just called the office... the results aren't back yet. They said bc they were extensive they would take 7-10days... they're testing wheat allergy, celiac, h pylori, and hormones. Hopefully they find something. I've had 2 thyroid panels done in the last 6 months so I know it's not my thyroid.

cyclinglady Grand Master

About your weight loss....are you eating enough "safe" foods (not sure if you have any intolerances)? I took a gluten hit six weeks ago. Weight started dropping. So, I started eating lots of stewed meat and fish, fat (even adding coconut oil to my coffee, drenching olive oil on my cooked veggies, eating chicken skin, consuming the fat from the stewed meat, and avocados) to offset my weight loss. I am eating easy-to-digest foods until I feel better.

Just something to consider.

Maddi Community Regular

Yesterday I had 2100 calories. I'm trying to add a tablespoon of olive oil every time I have rice (which is 4times a day). I'm mostly eating chicken (boneless chicken breast, drumstick, and thighs with bones). I'm having salmon also and ground beef or beef stew. For the most part I eat 4 times a day with one snack. I'm trying to keep my meals smaller but it's hard bc I have an insatiable hunger. I'm also eating peanut butter when I have my apple. I try to eat spinach at least once a day and green beans, avocado, or cucumbers. So I don't think I'm eating anything very irritating.(my tummy is hurting today) I'm also taking digestive enzymes now (started yesterday). And I've just decided that I'm going to give up eating out on the weekends... it's so hard though! (I go to a juice bar on Sundays... they also have amazing gluten free wraps...but idk how careful they are about CC or if anything has gluten ingredients... I started drinking their organic cold pressed juices bc I thought it was a good way of getting vitamins and minerals!) I'm also going to male bone broth this weekend. It just seems like I'm having ups and downs.... I do see an improvement but I still don't feel normal...and my digestion is still sucky. I guess it's also hard to not know if this is actually going to be the answer to my long list of symptoms. The only processed food I'm having is peanut butter. I did have gluten-free organic cereal today with rice milk that I made myself but I'm going to cut that out for now... even though the ingredients don't look too complicated (Kashi Indigo Morning).. but it does have corn. /: I'm willing to do the work if it means I get my energy back but this is very very hard work... especially now that I'm cutting out all processed foods.

Maddi Community Regular

Oh and I've already cut out dairy. (I've been casein intolerant since last year)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived