Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

SuzieQ1234

Starting Out On A gluten-free Diet

Rate this topic

Hello!
I am a newbie here, and currently trialling a gluten free diet. I have had terrible joint pains this year, which started in January and have travelled around my body for no apparent reason. I had a very stressful few months in my personal life in Oct/Nov last year and thought that may have contributed to it.
I was only talking to another Mum awhile ago and she said gluten can cause joint problems. Over the years I have had tummy issues, but was never able to pinpoint the cause. I never considered gluten could have been an issue. So I went to my GP who tested a range of things, which all came back fine, including celiac antibodies.
So she suggested that I try a month gluten-free, which I am now doing. I do feel quite a lot better, no headaches, less tired and 'foggy'. Tummy issues have eased. I am also vegetarian so trying to cut out grains and breads etc has been a challenge.
I am not under the guidance of a dietican as yet, so would that be an idea before reintroducing gluten or wheat? I'm not sure the best way to go from here. The gp said if I feel considerably better gluten-free, I can go and have the biopsy as bloods are not always 100%.

But since I have been off gluten for only a few weeks, bit hestitant to reintroduce it. I've been told there is a gene test that can be done, maybe that might be worth a try?

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Welcome, Suzie!

If you do have celiac disease, 30 days on a gluten-free diet is not long enough to eliminate symptoms.  You probably need to continue to be gluten free for six months.   A endoscopy/biopsy could be done but a gluten challenge can be difficult after going gluten free.  You need to be on gluten for about 4 weeks prior to an endoscopy.  Here's some information from the University of Chicago's celiac website and the American GI org about testing:

http://gi.org/guideline/diagnosis-and-management-of-celiac-disease/

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/medical-professionals/screening

Genetic Testing?  It helps rule out celiac disease as about 30 percent of the population carries the genes for celiac, but only a few actually develop it.  

I wish you well!  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Thanks for the info. It could be a gluten sensitivity if it's not celiac disease. I also have an underactive thyroid, so, many symptoms carry over. I am on medication for that, and the levels always come back normal, even when I think they are off because I feel awful.

I don't know of any family members with celiac disease as no-one has ever ben tested to my knowledge, my mother was adopted, so medical history on her side in not known.

I'm also in Australia, anyone here from Melbourne?

Join eNewsletter

I have Hashi's (hypo). From what I have read, gluten-free is supposed to help the thyroid. Let's hope it works for you! I am the first in my family to get a diagnosis of celiac disease.

We have an International section on celiac.com and many Austrialians belong to the forum. Check it out!

Anemia -- Resolved

Diabetes -- January 2014

Join eNewsletter

Make sure they take a minimum of 6 biopsies!!!! The intestine is the size of a tennis court if you were to lay it all out flat so it's imperative they take 6 biopsies otherwise they can miss damage due to the sheer vastness.

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Dermatitis Herpetiformis

Reynaud's October 2018

Rheumatoid Arthritis October 2018

Join eNewsletter

Just came back to update. Had the biopsy done yesterday. All the pictures appeared to be normal, but just have to wait for biopsy results.

• I'm glad I didn't have to do it for much longer, 6 weeks and I feel dreadful! My Hashimoto's antibodies were well over range, so that is probably not helping things. Can't wait to start feeling better!!

Join eNewsletter

Well you can go gluten free now at least. Kudos for sticking with it for 6 weeks; I know it wasn't easy.

They usually can't see the damage with the scope; that's why biopsies are necessary. Let us know how they turn out please.

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Dermatitis Herpetiformis

Reynaud's October 2018

Rheumatoid Arthritis October 2018

Join eNewsletter

Waiting is so hard!  ?.  Visually, my doctor said I looked okay, but my biopsies revealed a Marsh Stage IIIB (moderate to severe damage).   Keep us posted and hang in there!  

Anemia -- Resolved

Diabetes -- January 2014

Join eNewsletter